A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV ArtSmart Paste Bug - SOLVED
Posted: 19 January 2015 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-03

I think there is a bug with CV ArtSmart Paste. I copy from Illustrator to the clipboard and then run CV ArtSmart Paste in C4D and nothing happens.

Here’s the readout from the console:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "'CV-ArtSmart.pyp'"line 143in Execute
  File 
"'CV-ArtSmart.pyp'"line 104in GetClipData
  File 
"/Applications/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R16/resource/modules/python/Python.osx.framework/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py"line 621in __init__
    errread
errwrite)

File "/Applications/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R16/resource/modules/python/Python.osx.framework/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py"line 1121in _execute_child
    os
.waitpid(self.pid0)
OSError[Errno 4] Interrupted system call 

Is it a python error in C4D? Should I re-install? Or is it a bug with CV ArtSmart or both?

OS 10.10.1
C4D R16.029

Cheers,
Andy

Posted: 19 January 2015 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Hey Andy,

Something may have changed with Yosemite. When I tried to reproduce on our Yosemite system, I got a different error, but it might be the same cause.

Basically ArtSmart uses a small command-line C# application to interface with the clipboard, because full clipboard support isn’t available in Python or the C4D API. I think Yosemite is blocking that program from running.

Can you check these two things:
- In System Preferences / Security, what is your gatekeeper setting? Try setting it to Allow from Anywhere.
- This one’s trickier - in Terminal, navigate to your ArtSmart directory (usually in C4DPrefsPath/Plugins/CV-ArtSmart). You can do this by typing cd and then dragging in the folder from the finder. Then type “cd clipAICBHandler.app/Contents/MacOS”. Then “chmod 777 clipAICBHandler”. This ensures the command line utility has execute permissions.

The second item was the ticket for me. If that solves it for you as well, I’ll have to investigate whether I can change the default permissions on that file.

Posted: 19 January 2015 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-12-03

- This one’s trickier - in Terminal, navigate to your ArtSmart directory (usually in C4DPrefsPath/Plugins/CV-ArtSmart). You can do this by typing cd and then dragging in the folder from the finder. Then type “cd clipAICBHandler.app/Contents/MacOS”. Then “chmod 777 clipAICBHandler”. This ensures the command line utility has execute permissions.

Thanks, Rick! I can confirm that this worked with R16.

Also, ArtSmart appears to work fine on Yosemite in R15.

Cheers,
Andy

Posted: 19 January 2015 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Hmm. I’m guessing maybe you installed R15 manually and R16 via CV-Toolbox? It appears it’s actually an issue with Toolbox, derived from a bug in Python’s zip extraction routines that doesn’t set the permission bits properly. When you extract normally (not through Python) it’s fine. I’m close to a workaround, and will update Toolbox when I’ve got it sorted out.

Posted: 19 January 2015 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-12-03

Correct - R15 was a manual installation and I used Toolbox for R16.

Thanks for coming back with a quick solution.

Posted: 21 January 2015 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2007-12-03

I made a QuickTip to explain the fix.

https://vimeo.com/117370252

Posted: 21 January 2015 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Thanks Andy. I’ve already got a fix worked into Toolbox - I just need to do a bit of testing to make sure it didn’t break anything.

There should be a Toolbox update in the next week or so, and there’s also a minor ArtSmart update in the pipe for a smidge after that.

I just need to do the Toolbox update before the ArtSmart update, and I’m going to see if there’s any additional features I can sneak into the ArtSmart update.

Posted: 21 January 2015 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2007-12-03

Sounds great, Rick!

ArtSmart has been an essential workflow tool on my current project.