A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

polygon coordinate system
Posted: 31 January 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-28

Hey all,

I have a project where I want to use the polyfx on an object with a planar effector in order to explode the object. However, I would like to have to control of each polygon’s axis point. So I can control how they are rotated. Since the polyfx is rotating from the center of each polygon.

Is there a way to adjust the axis point of the polygons when using the polyfx?

Thanks in advanced for any solution to this problem or a different way to approach this.

Miguel

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Miguel,

Not to my knowledge. I’m not aware of a Planar Effector thought (or is it the Plain Effector?)

There was a plug-in which worked with polygons in a certain way, and the rotational point was always (?) located to the non-desovled part of the object. Perhaps someone remembers this.

Another “idea” might given with something like Python, but that is certainly out of my area of expertise.

For the PIT (Power Integration Tour/Adobe MAXON) I have had developed, some years ago, the building assembling, (well all animation practically). The idea was based on using the same size of clones (polygon-object) as the polygon size of the polygons of the object (to be clear here, one size only, or different ones based on manual selections) Then you can change the coordinates.

However, I have no idea how to change that for a each single polygon separately—if that is the key. I could imagine something like a gray map, but nothing natively that exists so far.

It would be a nice suggestion to MAXON, to have a 2D field like with the MG Text object, to adjust this. Just a though.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-28

Thanks Sassi!,

That was a super fast response! I meant to say the plain effector.

We are going to try your method ” The idea was based on using the same size of clones (polygon-object) as the polygon size of the polygons of the object (to be clear here, one size only, or different ones based on manual selections) Then you can change the coordinates.” and hopefully that will work out.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Miguel

Posted: 01 February 2013 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Miguel,

I have attached three examples, just to expand a little bit on the post above.
In an tutorial way back in time here, I discussed the option to use, after “modeling with the clones”, to go a step further and use deformer to get even more “shape” into it.

I’m not certain if all the steps inside are of any interest, but it might be worth to invest a minute (press play ;o)

Good luck with the project.

All the best

Sassi

P.S. thanks for clearing the term with the effector, I can’t really know all 3rd party developments.

File Attachments
CV2_r14drs_13_MGto_0A.zip  (File Size: 254KB - Downloads: 183)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]