A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Scale Texture axis tool changed in R14?
Posted: 15 January 2013 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

I’ve noticed a difference in the texture axis tool (scale mode) in r14, which i couldn’t find in the new features of help. 

In r13 if you dragged with the texture axis tool (scale mode) in the view port it would scale the texture uniformly up or down.  Then you could drag the individual handles to scale in those directions.

But in r14 there seems to be no way to scale the texture up or down uniformly.  Dragging in the view port now scales in x or y depending on which way you drag.  I actually find this pretty counter intuitive to use personally as most of the time i want to keep the aspect ratio.

Is there some way to keep the texture constrained to its aspect ratio?

I’m using just a simple polygon cube with the texture tag in cubic mode.

Any ideas.

Thanks guys

Posted: 15 January 2013 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Rich,

Click outside of any axis, if you are e.g., in Flat projection mode.

It works for me if the L key is down or enabled as well.

Here is the Manual text:
On this page of the Attribute Manager, you will find the settings that control the texture’s position, scale and rotation. You can also change these values interactively in the viewports (with the Texture and Enable Axis tools selected), provided UVW mapping is not active.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 January 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

Ah yup thats fixed it!  Thanks! 

But hang on, L hotkey modifies the pivot point doesn’t it?  Why does it constrain the aspect ratio here?

Posted: 15 January 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Rich,

It is confusing. ;o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 15 January 2013 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

Ah but that doesn’t actually work for me, unless i DO have L held down.  Or the axis modification button is on (left hand side of screen above snapping icon).  If i don’t do this and click outside the axis it still scales independently in both axis.

In r13 you didn’t have to have the enable axis modification on to do this.  Clicking outside the axis tool always scaled uniformly.

I wonder if its a bug, or if the change to this is intentional.  Either way it seems like it worked better before.

Posted: 15 January 2013 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

No idea Rich why it is not clearly explained in the Help Content. I have edited my posts above for clarity, and pasted the Help Content (Manual). You can find the entry here:

CINEMA 4D Prime > Object Manager > Tags Menu > CINEMA 4D Tags > Texture Tag.

Yes, there were quite some changes in the past releases, and I got quite some comments about it and their usefulness. However, I hope it will become one day more apparent what the “Interface Team” has as the “working philosophy” in mind. What I try to express, I do not believe in the existence of an intuitive interface of a software with this amount of tools. It’s just not possible or let me rephrase it, I haven’t seen it so far. It is in the best case learned vs intuition.
What I expect from all these changes, that one day we will see that there is a globally logic inside of all of that. Once you learned a partly, you might inter- or extrapolate inside of the application. Currently, this is not really obvious, but we see more and more a structure in the application. Given a perspective of three years so far. What I can see on the releases so far, there is certainly a progress. I do not appreciate change jsut to change it. But I give them certainly my faith for this “mammoth work”, and that they try it with the least amount of damage. ;o)

However, I double checked the axis L option, it is not active during the Texture Scale process, so primitives as polygon objects keep their axis position.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 January 2013 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

In R12.5 and below you had 2 icons.
The “Texture tool” and the “Texture Axis Tool”

Now in R13+ you have just the “Texture Tool” and a dedicated mode for “axis modification”.
So using both in conjunction would give you “axis modification for the texture” or “texture axis tool”
This actually brings it closer in line with how the other modes work (albeit making another thing for old dogs like us to re-learn.)

So the change was very much intentional.

Also, “l” is the shortcut for “axis modification”.
tapping “l” toggles modification on / off
holding “l” temporarily toggles the state.

If you go with that workflow it get’s easier…but if you search around the web people have also created scripts to bring back the dual buttons. (they just enable texture tool and axis modification.)

Posted: 16 January 2013 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

link to script:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=1081854&highlight=texture+axis

Posted: 16 January 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

Thanks guys,

I definately prefer having it unified as one tool, I was just confused with the scale in r14.  I’d actually forgotten it used to be two tools.  Thanks for the info : )

Posted: 16 January 2013 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sounds like a nice perspective, Rich. I certainly feel sometimes a little bit overwhelmed with each year has things mixed in a new way in my production-pipeline (take only C4D and Adobe’s Master Suite as starting point to explore changes). ..and we all use certainly many other apps to get things done. Change is not always productive in the first moment.

I tell myself then, don’t try to switch things back, as I will get more and more behind the “overall-change” of things, and it needs more and more adjustments to keep things as they were… 
But yes, the flow is interrupted for a while, until the new stuff has found its way into the muscle memory.
Being here on the forum exposed to question of certainly more than 3-4 release versions at once, is perhaps sometimes confusing, especially to keep track with all changes.

Have a good one

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 January 2013 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2010-11-01

yup i agree, i’ve lost track of adobe since cs4.  But trying to keep up with c4d - lucky theres that whats new in this version section of the help.  Takes time to go through but you learn a lot of things you’d have missed out otherwise.

Posted: 17 January 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I never assume to know every change from all Adobe apps, even worse, sometimes they discontinue apps, like GoLive (which I used from r1 on)

For C4D I’m always grateful to have the “what’s new” list. I print it out and mark the stuff that I know. In the ‘90s I used the Command-Manager to have a more or less complete list. It’s always quite some work.

Anyway, the forms-work keeps me on my toes, here and elsewhere since 2004, hehe.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: