A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Motion Clips / Motion System and User Data
Posted: 11 January 2013 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Just now trying the Motion System stuff - watched through Rob Redman’s MILG 9 DVD again as he had several sections on the Motion System.  After going through that to refresh my memory, started jumping in. 

I’m attempting to use the Motion System for a few things, the first of which is an animation that’s a slightly irregular timing of blinks for the character.  This is implemented as user data on the top-level null object which uses XPresso to drive two Visibility tags - one each for the “eyes open” model group and another for the “eyes closed” model group.  Because I’m doing this South Park “cardboard cutout” style animation, I"m not actually moving geometry for the blink.

Using the Motion System I set up a motion clip with this blinking animation that’s working directly on the user data, but once in a motion clip it’s not working.  It’s not driving the user data on the top-level object at all.  I made sure I had “parameters” selected when I built the motion clip, but nothing I’m doing appears to be picking up the data in that user data.  Is there some Motion System “switch” I’m missing or is the Motion System not really built to handle non-motion type data (like user data)?

Posted: 11 January 2013 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Ryan,

The Motion System (Animation Clips) can store Keyframes for objects and hierarchies, for objects and hierarchies which are build in the same way. It needs to be created from the top object in a hierarchy! Hence like joint set ups. User-data included! I have create a “Motion Clip” series about the options for team work (I was told it will be soon online, lets cross the fingers, I demoed it a while ago at DMALA)

I have never seen a DVD from Rob, sounds certainly interesting. Having said that, I have no reference to anything from it then—of course.

I guess radio buttons for on and off are installed, to easily click on them, which can be recorded with auto keying.

The Group_UD.1 has the Animation Clip from from Group_UD

I had recorded the Key-Frames with auto key-frames, so I had to click only on the state that I liked to have (See image with the “radio buttons” open/close). I used here a switch between two polygons. Your idea might differ.

Have a look at the settings while “baking” the information to a clip (Image)

P.S.: these Radio buttons (open/close) can be extended, in a new User-Data, to get for all your expressions a single click options. Let me know if there is a question.

File Attachments
CV2_R14_drs_13_ANtx_21.zip  (File Size: 153KB - Downloads: 210)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]