A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

R13 to R14 conversion resulting in huge file size increases
Posted: 04 January 2013 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

This is really odd, and I want to see if it is just me, or if there is some sort of bug at work here.

I have had R14 since its release, but have only just started having the opportunity to transition everything over. Almost right out of the gate, I am having an issue.

I can take a project from R13 that is 33.2 MB in size, open it in R14 and without modifying anything I do a ‘Save Project with Assets’, and the resulting c4d file has grown in size to 1.35 GB!!! The tex folder stays the same at about 49 MB, but there is something crazy going on in the translation form R13 to R14. I have done this now a handful of times using various projects, but the result is the same… the.c4d project goes from being double-digit MB to being in the 1-2 GB range.

Has anyone else encountered this or a similar issue?  I jut want to get a consensus before I start talking to tech support, or doing anything drastic like a re-install.

I am using the most current versions of r14 and R13, on OSX 10.7.4

Thanks,
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 04 January 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

I would check the files with the support. (I just checked based on five full hard disks, I have not a single file above 1GB, so I can’t say anything)

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 January 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

I discovered the problem and will share it here for any who stumble across it with similar issues.  I had in my preferences for R14 “Save Polys for Melange” enabled.  I was told this was necessary to get After Effects CS6 to import R14 files.  Apparently though, this option is responsible for the drastic file size increase and disabling it set things back to normal.

Cheers
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 05 January 2013 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Will,

Thanks for the update, that is very useful for anyone here using Melange.

I had to do some tests, as I thought how is that stored in Auto-Save, which you have perhaps not set to on…
If you have the default settings with 10 copies, you might check your backup folder ;o) to free same space.

Again, thank you.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]