A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

character object:: changing the root position
Posted: 11 December 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-09-13

Hello,
a client asks for an animated Hand/Arm which ends in a trail (so there is no torso). Therefore i would like to use the advanced biped preset but skip the spine and change the root to the wrist of the hand for the animation. I would also have to reverse the IK/FK of the arm so its starting from the wrist.

Is that possible to achieve with the character component, or would it be better to rig it from scratch?
I have only basic rigging skills…

Posted: 11 December 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

you can hack apart the character object all you want…but that doesn’t mean it will be “easy”
Build the spine, and add the arm.
position everything, but DON’T bind it.
Then convert the Character object.
Now, you will have to go through the resulting hierarchy and delete the stuff you don’t need. (this is part is harder, but for the most part should be fairly easy, mostly tedious.)
Really you only want to keep the hand…the rest of the arm you would want to rebuild….but since the hand is the most complex part that is fine :D

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-09-13

Hi Patrick,
thanks for your answer. sorry for my late response.

I saw also a thread on cg talk about adding a Tail where you answered.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1023847

I think i will try to keep the character object for the hand and constrain a tail to the wrist. The rest (spine etc.) i will just ignore.
I hope that will work out.

cheers,
Matthias

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

It will work, you will just have a lot more in your scene than you actually need. This can slow things down and will also be a bit more of a pain once you get into weighting, as your weight tags and skin object will have more objects than needed.

But it will still work smile

‹‹ Grey scale as a bump?      MoDyn Medical Logo ››