A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Rendering
Posted: 03 December 2022 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2020-10-06

Hi!

We are working in a project that we are culminating in Cinema 4d S24 to upload the latest version that we had being studying.

We have some questions. We are rendering the scenes and some which time is 1 minutes; endures rendering about sixteen hours.  Is that normal?  I know that we will use Redshit material and texture in next projects to, as I heard, reduce the time.

Would you tell me which things helps us to reduce the time at Cinema 4d?  I have like 100 scenes to render.  Is baking key objects is a good option to reduce the time?  Which things is good to bake?

We will take the necessary time to end our project; just that we want to become experts on rendering.

Best Regards

Posted: 03 December 2022 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi yguerrero2010,

There is no simple answer to that. Whatever you place in a scene will reduce the speed. How much is the question!
Besides that, any setting for the rendering that will not be noticeable will also very likely reduce the speed.

Perhaps this class can help a little bit
https://youtu.be/v7KWU7_yC-w

Larger textures, great Anti Alias values (threshold or AA tags), and using Global Illumination where no GI is needed (i.e., can be faked).
Other speed traps are Bokeh, Motion Blur, and anything that is not cached but takes a lot of time to build up.
Of course, to dense meshes, textures in the wrong size, and my all-time favorite, Node Materials that are set up as if nodes wouldn’t eat up time to calculate.

This morning I had a question: Where the Subdivision Surface was placed on top of a Cloner instead of creating a Clone in the way it should and then cloning it—speaking of MoGraph, not using Render or Multi Instances whenever possible.

So, before I write a long list, and might miss what is slowing something down on your end. There are limits, given an acceptable quality, alone in the hardware, especially in hardware and networks. One minute might be short or might be a lot. This is not a fixed value.

The main idea is that you need to know what each part does, what is required visually, or what is just over the top. High mesh density is undoubtedly a render time trap, especially with things that evaluate each polygon, e.g., dynamics set to soft bodies. It might not be the rendering, but that is also easy to see if the editor view is sluggish.

If that knowledge is not given, and most of the time, it isn’t. Otherwise, the scene would be created; differently; my tip would be:

Put things on Layers, so you can switch off and on parts and see how that affects the time. Explore if you find something that shows as a render hit. Like baking, but is the scene the same after baking? If you bake with a too-large resolution, you might slow down things.

Over the years, I have often answered with long lists of what to do, but to answer a general question, it is just not working; the options to set up a scene are too large.

You say become experts in rendering. That is great. I hope that with my text from above, it has become clear that it needs attention from the start. For example, are objects needed in the background, or would an image be just fine?

Yes, Redshift 3D is faster, but it might be in danger if one has no idea how to stay optimized with all parts.

Go with the Layer on/off option as the first step to see what is going on and where. With that, the answer might be more manageable.

If you find something, that shows up slowing down the process, please ask, I’m happy to take a look at it.

My best wishes for the project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]