A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to Import and Export OBJ Models
Posted: 26 July 2022 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2022-06-13

Hi!

I click the import .mtl as textures file whenever I try to import an obj file, but it never works. How should I import a .mtl file into C4D?

Signature 

Jacob P
Animation Intern

Posted: 26 July 2022 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jacob P.,

The mtl file itself is not loaded at all. It is a file that contains data, which is taken from the file to configure the import.

When you get an obj and an mtl file, there might be a texture file as well, if that is in the mtl file referenced.

Open the mtl with a text editor to see what it going on.

For example, the “map_Kd” (without the “”) is typically the line for an image in the Color channel.

This can be provided with a name only or with a path. If it is with the name, only the texture needs to be in the target folder where your C4d file lives.
If it has a global path like /yourhardrive/yourtexfolder/your_image.jpg then it knows where to find that.

When you get an obj/mtl/image file from someone else, typically, that entry is only the name.

Please check the file, open the C4D in the folder, then merge the obj file. Does the cube have texture?

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]