A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cinema 4D Team Render, Part 08: Preparing C4D Scenes for Network Rendering
Posted: 01 May 2022 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2020-10-06

In terms of Rendering.

If I render to picture viewer a scene and then, I make a change to that scene, do I have to render it to picture viewer again to save the change?

By the way, when is the next NAB in California; do your team will be making presentations soon here? we would love to know them in person.

Thanks

Posted: 01 May 2022 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi yguerrero2010,

Any changes you make will be saved (if you use Cave, Save as, Save All Projects, Save Incremental, Save with Asset, or Save as Cineware) into a project file without rendering those. The previous render will not change; if you like to have the changes in the image, it needs a new render.

Yes, some applications need a new 3D render before you can export the 3D dataset, e.g., Archicad. In Cinema 4D, on the other hand, all data that is supposed to be in 3D is defined as such from the start. Rendering is like printing out a text, you could save changes to the text, but the print would not change; it needs to be done again. (Does this answer your question)

This week was NAB Las Vegas, Nevada; I’m not aware of any NAB event in California (going by the last 16 years).

Siggraph is sometimes here in L.A. or San Diego, but not this year.

For any events, perhaps check the event page;
https://www.maxon.net/en/events?page=1

I’m sure people are happy to say hello if you can make it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 May 2022 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-10-06

Awesome Dr. Sassi!

I appreciate your response.
I understand better the importance of Rendering….

I will check on the Events page for the activities.

Thanks

Posted: 02 May 2022 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, yguerrero2010.

Let me know if there is anything else regarding this.
I’m happy to look into it.
Questions like yours help me expand my understanding of what we as a trainer have to address in our material. The learning never stops, which is undoubtedly true for both sides. Thank you.

Have a great start to your week.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 May 2022 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-10-06

Dr. Sassi

Im checking into Meet the Trainers video. It is awesome how much interesting background experience you and the team has.

About Rendering, we worked many scenes in c4d without using yet Redshift.  I will use it in the next.

I began to render one scene of 3 minutes (3600F) which I suppose is the correct calculation.
Even that I have purchased a high capacity equipment, is rendering since this morning; still at 656 keyframes.  Is that normal?
I meant about the time it will take a scene of 3 minutes?  Just confirming.

DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?
I was thinking possible, if I change all the scenes to (1,800) keyframes, the rendering it will take half of the time, and then I could change again the rendering to 3,600 to save the file as animation to play on 3 minutes.

Best Regards

Yolanda Guerrero-Rebollo

Posted: 06 May 2022 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Yolanda Guerrero-Rebollo,

Thanks fo watching this special, yes, I like to learn and to explore new things. As any other artists, I get bored quickly, if there is no progress. wink

Thinking about 3600 frames with a total duration of three minutes would equal a frame rate of twenty frames per second. That might not look well. If the motion is slow, you might get away with it.

The render-time depends on many things. Given that I started roughly three decades ago rendering stuff out, a frame in 1K was pretty much a day back then. So three minutes sounds good, perhaps not. Studios who render frames for feature films can take days per frame, even with large render farms, while a feature film has around 120,000 frames. Again, it depends.

I think we could talk a day about improving a scene to get faster, only to notice that we have so much more.

I can say that baking as much information as possible is key to the texture or caching in animation. Besides that, taking objects out of the GI rendering calculation when they are not leading to significant changes but have tons of polygons, like plants, while replacing them (if needed) for the GI (not visible to the camera itself) as a low-polygon object.

It also depends on the render engine and how materials are set up. I have seen here in the forum (over many years) that expensive machines are bought, and then people threw just anything in the scene and let the CPU/GPU figure out how to handle it. I think it is clear how that works.

In Redshift, for example, one can fine-tune so many areas that this might take a while to go through all of them. Which should be handled in an Ask The Trainer “Render Special” grin

Using render instances, for example, might help, or replacing things in the background with a 360ºx180º panorama, if the camera move allows for it (parallax).

Editing a movie is often more efficient, and a one-take with three minutes needs an audience who really wants to see it. Edits in typical movies are 2-8 seconds (+/-)long, and then the following clip forces the brain to interpolate what is missing based on the cut. Long ones taken are often not the best way, but I don’t know what you have set up. If the audience gains a lot from it, you have them on the edge of their seat for three minutes.

Can you explore the project by shutting off parts, checking how long 30 frames need to render, and exploring other parts? Perhaps there is no bottleneck, or there is something that slows it down. Again 3 minutes sounds not bad, but it depends.

Baking things into textures, switching parts off, and exploring the replacement of secondary (far away) parts are essential. This is typical work for each larger project, and it certainly is each time different.

Two decades ago, I had to deliver a 20-minute animation in one month, including starting from scratch, e.g., modeling a dozen scenes. I placed a lot of equirectangular (360ºx180º) of a single scene (360 camera rendering) as well as camera mapping into the movie, where the render-time (back then!) was not even 10 seconds per frame based on this “cheat”—speaking of editing and “baking”. Today those frames would render below a second.

In summary, your question provided very little to go on. It could be that motion blur or Bokeh takes the most time, perhaps to a certain degree, that can be done in post. (Not as good, but often nice enough).
Group your project in layers and switch some on or off and see if things change drastically.

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 May 2022 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2020-10-06

Thanks a lot Dr. Sassi.

Posted: 17 May 2022 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, yguerrero2010.

I suggested a specific webinar for this theme.
As usual, it is a balance between preparation and renders power.
My target is to give some pointers for the decision-making and, as a secondary step, some tips on getting faster render times if the invested time is reasonable.
As a friend said already, why try to improve a race-car! It will be a tricky and perhaps too nerdy theme. So we will see if it will be realized.

Enjoy

Signature 

NEW: