A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Universe Transitions in After Effects
Posted: 05 May 2022 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2021-12-07

No matter what I try to do with Universe Transitions, there is some sort of distortion that looks like fingerprints embedded in every video it touches.

I tried to even backpedal my Universe version to 5.0 to no avail.

Here’s what’s happening, I tried both Channel Surf/Black Flicker & completely different Fold/Left and the footage gets this green distortion that looks like fingerprints over it. This shows up even after I remove the effect, it also shows up when I try to view the footage in project window, which has NEVER happened in my entire career of using After Effects. This was performed on footage that was scaled down from 4K to fit a 1080x1080 window. I’ve done this same thing with other transition packages (not Red Giant) and had no issue. This is frustrating, to say the least, as I have no idea how a plugin can affect footage after the effect has already been deleted from footage on timeline.

I can only get the distortion to go away if I delete the file from project window and then re-import it again.

What is going on? Any assistance would be helpful, I’ve attached what the distortion looks like, you can see the green ‘thumbprints’ over the actors head to the left.

Posted: 05 May 2022 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi christeen.clark,

I tried to reproduce it with your data (”… Channel Surf/Black Flicker & completely different Fold/Left …”). One time with footage, and another time with just layers, I have no luck finding fingerprints. Some effects have “grunge-maps” in it, but typically they have a parameter for that effect.

Please check this with the support:
https://www.maxon.net/en/support-center

Sorry that you have trouble.

Fingers crossed, there is a fast and straightforward solution for that.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 May 2022 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2021-12-07

The link you provided does not work. FYI

Posted: 05 May 2022 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Please try again. I checked.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 May 2022 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2021-12-07

I’ve figured out what had happened. Something to do with After Effects codec with h264 file did not seem to gel well. Which is odd, because it’s the only one h.264 that’s given me issues. However, After Effects has recently updated it’s render platform to better accomodate newer Macs, so perhaps this is more an Adobe issue.

I transcoded the file to a different codec (quicktime Apple Pro Res 422) and it seems to work without issue. Thank you for assistance.

Posted: 06 May 2022 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, christeen.clark; this is a very interesting find!

Hopefully, Adobe can work it out.

I had two h.264 in my tests, so perhaps there is something with a particular encoding: one pass or two, etc., since the newly encoded file of yours, didn’t show it.

Have a great weekend

Signature 

NEW: