A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Photo-real Interiors & Archviz
Posted: 25 March 2022 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2013-10-21

Hi There,

If you search Cineversity for ‘interiors’ or ‘archviz’ nothing show-up - maybe there are archviz tutorials here but I couldn’t find any sorry.

Request photo-real interior course covering:
- Photo-realistic modelling techniques
- Photo-realistic texturing (and when to use a texture detail vs modelling detail)
- Photo-realistic lighting techniques (HDRI vs Sun/Sky vs Portal lights and mixing them)
- Photo-realistic rendering (and which types of passes are useful)
- Photo-realistic post-production

The key thing is that the course results in proper photo-realistic renders - like evermotion.org scenes. We’ve all seen tutorials/courses which cover general principles but the results don’t look real or look horribly out-of-date.

I realise people mainly use Vray for interiors but I’m sure Redshift could compete - right?

Cheers, Ben

Posted: 25 March 2022 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ben,

That would be a theme along with one of my passion. So, why do we not have it here?

First of all: Thanks for the list. Yes, that would be the CG chapter of such a theme. Which Eran Dinur covers in his excellent book:
The Complete Guide to Photorealism for Visual Effects, Visualization, and Games, by Eran Dinur
This is a must-read from my point of view.

“We’ve all seen tutorials/courses which cover general principles but the results don’t look real or look horribly out-of-date.” Well, there is a reason for that, and it is not the tech.

If I had to outline and develop a series that puts people into the driver chair of this profession, I would add the following themes to it:

• Training of the eye, which is the absolute starting point, without any doubt)
• Translating architectural philosophy into a visual
• Photography, Free-camera, lenses, exposure, etc.
• Color theory and systems, as well as Color management
• Cinematography (leading the audience and thinking about the visual language of an image)
• Study of art, light, light, light.
• Montage of 3D into images (compositing), motion tracking.

Having worked in a leading position in architecture for a long time, forgive me when I make this as complex as I think it deserves. This is a job in its own rights and is not represented by a collection of tricks. I assume you agree here.

If that would be just a few tricks and setups or workflows, then this is fairly covered in the Redshift 3D series:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaxonTrainingTeam

As you can see, I started at one point with several series to create a base for this theme, link below (Photography for 3D Artists, for example), as well here on Cineversity: Cinematography (basics), and some thoughts about light, integration, etc.
It seems a common idea that any profession can be reduced to a few tutorials and sold as “and that is all there is to it” [sic!]. Long and complete series that require time are not used but often requested. So, I hope I was able to provide some pointers why you haven’t found here the requested set of skills.

Again,  I encourage anyone to put a “1+” into this thread to provide a base for this massive amount of work. Again, this is not done with a few hours of providing tips. It is a complex set of skills to successfully communicate an architect’s (or any artist’s) intentions to a broad and colorful audience.

Again, I’m personally wide open to that, but so far, some people have even told me that they want to learn the whole feature film pipeline in a few hours, and nothing longer, which shows only how much a significant series would be needed here as well. Feature Film Pipeline, including VFX and SFX: I have learned this for three+ decades, and since it expands constantly (LED Volumes, OCIO, ACES, SSI, etc.), I’m far from done with it. I love it, and it has a lot of overlap to your request!

Thanks for your input!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 25 March 2022 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2013-10-21

Yes! Absolutely agree that it isn’t a bunch of tricks, hence requesting a series that has a lot of meat on the bones.

This would be a lot of work so understand the hesitation, especially if people are saying they want to learn the features pipeline in only a few hours!

Thanks for the reply and hope there are others who also understand the depth of the subject (which why it’s hard to find a complete course that delivers photo-real results) and are looking to invest in a real-world career.

Cheers, Ben

Posted: 25 March 2022 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much for your reply, Ben, and for taking the time.

I love to share, no question, and I have no limitations when I do so. I think what matters is to get the tech out of the way (AKA creating muscle memory) and leave all energy for the artist part, which is individual and the unique selling point of everyone, after all.

If I may brag even more, here is the latest blog about Architectural Visualization.
https://blog.nemetschek.com/en/topics-and-insights/shaping-the-experience?fbclid=IwAR37GHmMundsgocGo1XbHaI88zHxO_tXsasS9GyD13jTp3MpS8djWHUFLU0
Pictures provided by Nemetschek.

Again, thank you very much!

Have a great weekend

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Toon Rig Animation      Face rig for mocap ››