A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Creating Character Joint Control Morphs
Posted: 21 December 2021 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2018-08-27

I’m not sure if this is correct forum to ask this, so if there is a better community, book, anything, please let me know. I’m using Cinema 4D R21.

For months I’ve been struggling on the workflow to create Joint Correction Morphs (JCM). Not the tag itself, but the effective means to edit the mesh. I’ve only been able to find a short Maxon tutorial and it didn’t get much into the mesh modification process. As in my example knee example, much of the mesh is intercepting and difficult to access. I’ve tried performing the mesh alteration in a non-bend position, then rotated the joint to the bend position.  This becomes an endless loop of trial and error with no acceptable results. I have found some tutorials for Maya where they used scripts to help creating JCM. Has anyone seen similar tools created for Cinema 4D?

Bruce Kingsley

Posted: 21 December 2021 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bruce Kingsley,

Yes, excellent tutorial request; This theme should be discussed.

Here is a little intro (not a tutorial nor an attempt to replace something with such), just a little clip hoping to ease the waiting time.

Example and screen capture
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ZfSZU0C9y0u3ryPhynPxrqSPU6qfo85QyORjkQ91bVK

Happy Holidays

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 December 2021 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2018-08-27

Thanks Dr. Sassi!
I’ll check out the examples you provided.

On an unrelated topic, I made an unique project I call “Human Emulated Endurance Driven Animation”.

All facial animations are being driven by a Python script in Cinema 4D and a C# .NET program I wrote to automatically emulate human behavior based on a simple Mood setting such as “Happy”, “Sad” etc,. The software is creating all face animations based on what the body is doing automatically! As velocities increases eye and face expressions become more focused and serious, eye may focus on hands based on positioning and velocity relative to the face. If a high velocity is to yet to come, it drives deeper breaths and anticipation face expressions. The body motion capture FBX file is analyzed by my C# .NET application that creates a .CSV file that the Cinema 4D Python script reads into “Expression Generators” that are XPresso objects. The C# software watches head and body joint movement velocity to determine endurance (or work/power) over time duration. As more time passes, the character becomes “tired” that drives eye, mouth movements, breathing amplitude and rate. Once the endurance reduces, a sense of “relaxation” is driven. The main joints have endurance weights (the hip being the highest if it’s position moves away from the ground carrying most of the body weight).

Not a typical/practical Cinema 4D project or application, but it was an interesting project with very convincing results seeing the face expressions happening automatically without manual animation or face capture.

Bruce Kingsley

Posted: 21 December 2021 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Bruce Kingsley, for sharing your exploration.

WOW! Sounds like a great idea.

Perhaps send an email to Maxon (Contact Us - below, left corner) and see what happens. I guess you would like to get this out in the wide open. Thanks for considering. If that is not getting a reply, Holidays are coming…, please let me know.

Happy Holidays

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]