A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Exporting multiple animations to fbx
Posted: 23 November 2021 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2021-07-12

Hello,

I am trying to export multiple animations of a single game model to fbx format that I then open in Blender and the Godot game engine.
Individual animations in C4D R24 are in the form of motion clips that I attach to my test mesh with a motion tag.
I followed guidance from another thread of this forum and am using Takes to selectively activate the relevant clips and hide others. Either by ticking the “Solo” option of respective clips, or setting their Layer Value to 0% / 100%.

In C4D it works, I end with each Take playing only the desired animation.

However, after exporting to FBX format and opening the file in Blender, while I do have each of my Takes properly registered as a separate Action, the motions from the different clips are all mashed up together on each action. It looks as if, prior to exporting, C4D collapsed the different motion layers without accounting for Takes.

Am I doing something wrong, or ignoring a subtlety / shortcoming of the Motion Clip system ?
For the record, in another test I did manage to get a proper export of multiple independent motions by manually creating keyframe animations under the different takes, so I know the whole process can work. I’m just not managing to obtain what I want with Motion Clips.

Posted: 23 November 2021 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi emilien,

I do not use Blender at all. So I can’t tell.

From the Animation System to Takes and that exported as FBX seems unsuccessful. I have tried in the past hours any possible option, like exporting it first as Cineware, etc.

I have no problems after baking the Takes to keyframes. As you have mentioned already.

My suggestion, get in touch with the support.
https://www.maxon.net/en/support-center

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 November 2021 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2021-07-12

My thanks for taking the time to look into it. I will get in touch with support as you suggest.

Posted: 23 November 2021 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for your reply, emilien.

Thanks as well as for your patience. I think it is time now: I will write a short report about it. Fingers crossed that theme will be solved.

Have a great day

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]