A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Texturing help. please
Posted: 08 October 2021 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2013-11-14

I am making a model of an advent calendar for a project, and i want to use one image for the entire front face, including the doors. Then i want to use a different plain texture on the back of the doors, but i am finding this impossible to figure out.

I have made the front from one large polygon with holes cut out using a boole object, then i have made 25 doors to fit inside the holes and positioned the axis to allow rotating along an edge.
Then i put all the objects into a null and applied the Texture to the Null. The only way i could get the texture to sit correctly is by using Flat Projection onto the Back side. Doing this means the image covers the entire calendar, and sticks to the doors when opened.

I have tried to select individual faces on the rear of the doors and apply a plain texture, but it covers the entire polygon. Changing the projection mode makes no difference, nor does the front/back /both option, Add materials also doesnt seem to make a difference.

How can i apply the texture across multiple different sized objects so they look like a single projection, which i can apply only to the front face, and allows me to have a different texture on the rear face?

thanks

Posted: 08 October 2021 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi lightningad,

The way to go is with UVs, especially when you like to have the doors closed first, then open.

If you want a different texture on the backside, then you need a texture-file with two layers, two materials. As an alternative, it could be side by side and then offset.

A standard projection method could be the starting point but needs to be turned into UV at one point. Anything else is asking for extra work and trouble, in this case.

I would need to see the setup to answer more in detail; anything else would be a guessing-rally and not what I think is anything anyone wants to read through. wink

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 October 2021 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-11-14

thanks for replying Dr Sassi

i did try the UV projection mode but that looked completely wrong, so i am guessing you mean that method of breaking out the faces into a map and applying the texture to that.

Are you aware of any tutorials that explain how to do this ? I have seen some in the past that dealt with an individual model - but mine is made of of multiple objects, so i’m completely unsure how to do it or even where to look!

regards
Adam

Posted: 11 October 2021 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2013-11-14

i have now got the texture attaching correctly.
Took a few different videos to figure out which was the most appropriate method, but thanks to Rick Barrets “Create Initial UVW coordinates Quickly” its now working.

Next task is figuring out the multi layered texture!

Posted: 11 October 2021 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-11-14

I am completely lost trying to add a second texture for the reverse side of the windows. Everything i have tried fails.

Have tried adding 2nd Texture to both the Null Object containing everything, as well as to individual windows, setting the Both / Front / Back side options to every possible combination on both textures. No change is seen.

If i place the texture to the right of the main texture, (on Object Mgr tags) then it completely obscures the main texture regardless of the settings used for the front/back, etc

I have tried selecting an individual face on a polygon and applying the texture to just that face, but again its obscuring the main texture regardless of settings. I tried to Reverse the Normal on that face, and this allows the new texture to appear, but it also removes the main texture from the other side of the polygon.

I’m hoping its a simple button click to fix this, but i’m beginning to doubt that!

Posted: 11 October 2021 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi lightningad,

As I mentioned above, without a scene file, a lot of time will be wasted.

There is only so much text can do, a scene file works, or it doesn’t.

Let me know if you need an upload link.
Please note that I use only a few cloud services, nothing else, seriously. (Apple, Amazon, Adobe, Google, DropBox, Wetransfer)

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 October 2021 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2013-11-14

Hi Dr Sassi,
I have sent you a PM with the file details

regards
Adam

Posted: 12 October 2021 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the file. I have sent it back after setting up all the UVs.
I hope that works now in the way you like.

The file is checked with the standard as well with the RedShift 3D setup.

I was not sure which texture the doors on the back should have. I used green material here.

Let me know if there is anything else with this project. I’m happy to look into it.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 13 October 2021 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2013-11-14

Thank you for the help.

How did you do that?

The only differences i can see is the sequence of tags in each object is different to mine, and the Texture now has a link to the polygon selections.
I tried swapping mine around to match and it works!

Thanks for showing me the solution.

Adam

Posted: 13 October 2021 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

One key is to name the Polygon selection properly. In this case, they should be all the same for that group so that you can work with one Parent Material.

I have had renewed the UV for all as well. But that was more to learn what your project was all about.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW: