A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloth on Animated Character
Posted: 02 October 2021 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2018-08-27

I created a character and added a dress that’s mesh was setup with my character in a “A” pose and in zero position. I added the cloth tag, collider tag and belt tag, and ran the simulation to make sure the dress doesn’t do any strange stuff.

Then I brought in a re-targeted animation to my character that in the first frame the character is in a different position and pose. The dress on the other hand remains in the same zero position where I set the cloth up. As soon as I run the animation, the dress tries to dynamically “jump” to the new starting position whipping around trying to catch up, which it never does.

Is there a tag or workflow I should be using so the dress conforms to a new starting pose and position? It doesn’t seem like I would have to go through the entire cloth tag setup process for every amination.

I tried to attached an example project showing the issue, but the forum page gives me a “The file you are attempting to upload has invalid content for its MIME type” error.  Thanks.

Bruce Kingsley

Posted: 02 October 2021 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

HiI Bruce Kingsley,

Sorry about the MIME stuff.

Cloth works with the belt and, in general, with the dynamics. Having not seen the file, it is difficult to tell what is needed. I have sent you an upload link.

I would set the old pose (A) on frame zero, and the new one moved far away time-wise, then run it, and if the changes created no damage, set the Dresser>Initial State at the frame where the new animation starts, then move the new keyframe and the time slider to the start. This is a guess, and while guesses are not my favorite, I like to see your setup.

Let me know if that is working.

Have a great weekend

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 October 2021 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-08-27

I sent the project file. To keep the example simple I only animated the character root, so removing the animation and setting the root to all zeros will place the character back in the position where the dress was setup.

Posted: 02 October 2021 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, Bruce Kingsley.

I did exactly as I wrote in post #1, and it worked.

I would not place the character under any joint. You introduce twice the movement into the character. I would avoid that!

The file is cached, so you should see precisely what I saw. Since the file is more “rated R” than not, I have sent it back via PM.

I left the A position in the file, but as you can see, I moved it 91 frames (0+90) to the left.

Enjoy your weekend.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 October 2021 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2018-08-27

Dr. Sassi V,

I can’t believe how fast you edited the file and sent it back, how do work so fast!

Everything you suggested worked. I also noticed you move the dress mesh under the hip joint so it doesn’t have as far to move from.

I’ve created a document for myself that captures all these tricks and methods you’ve provided me on multiple postings on the use of cloth.

Your sites “MIME” software must be pretty powerful to interpret what the geometry shapes are within a Cinema 4D file. I should have caught this and used a generic character model.

Bruce

Posted: 02 October 2021 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Bruce.

The MIME on the Cineversity site is picky. My best guess is that the security settings are high. (Cineversity is not mine!) The file needs to be a zip format, and even then, some zip files fail to pass the “gate-keeper”. It doesn’t analyze the content (object etc.)

The Skin moves the Mesh. The Mesh is based on points. Points are the only thing that we move here. These points are related to the Object axis, which is their little world. If that object sits under the joints, that axis is move, and the points are moved then on top of that, then again moved by the Skin, not a good idea! Hence why I moved it out of it. It has nothing to do there besides getting in trouble at one point based on that.

Have a lovely Saturday!

Signature 

NEW: