A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Texture Mapping onto 3D text Extrusions - Randy
Posted: 23 September 2021 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2021-06-22

Discussed in todays Ask the Trainer webinar. I’m working on a logo animation and would like to embellish this with 2D texture maps of text, HUD displays and photos similar to what is shown in the attached references.

I’d like to either animate the texture maps in AE and then apply them so they travel over the geometry as the camera moves around the logo at extreme closeups, again, similar to the references, or, have them travel across the extrusion using a technique in Cinema. I’d also like to animated the HUD displays and map them to geometry but I understand this is the same technique as a still except with an animation.

I’ve attached a simplified sample of the file, a rendered frame from a previous file (just to show what I’m working on) a text .png (no background) a black and white HUD display and some photos.

I’m still learning UV mapping and I’m sure this is the secret.

Any help would be wildly appreciated.

Posted: 23 September 2021 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi noell,

I have sent you an upload link for the sample file, as I couldn’t find one above.

I will have a look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 September 2021 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2021-06-22

Hi Dr. Sassi,

It’s actually me, Randy my email address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) (formerly .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) where you helped me with that syringe model). I’ve asked Noell to forward the email you sent her. We’re also in the process of changing the login email from her to me but it only lets’ me add my name so I opened a ticket with tech support.

Will send files as soon as I get the link from Noell.

Thank you (as always)
Randy

Posted: 23 September 2021 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Randy,

Edit: I got the file /edit

I thought so, and I use the names as given in the Avatar or if given in the post. However, some people prefer to be not recognized for various reasons. So I always wait for what I can see; that is what I use.

I have sent you an upload link, as I need your file to see what the problem is. If I send you mine, it might “solve” other problems and not the ones you encounter. Textures are not needed if you have great, but the key is in the model.

The link is in the Private Messages, above in the forum’s interface.

I’m happy to look into it.

BTW, whatever you sent to the tech support will be out of my reach. That is not an open platt-form, we keep things tight. I solve creative problems, closer to our artists/clients work, the great team from the tech-support is much closer to the developer’s work. There is a clear line.

Cheers

P.S.: I would not leave the email in the forum, there are too many people scanning the web for emails.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 September 2021 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2021-06-22

Good point (emails - I revised those). Totally understand the tech support/creative separation. I only mentioned that due to the potential delay in my responses.

I sent the file to your dropbox. The HUD display was a small black and white image which I suspect could be used for this purpose but I will download/animate anything I intend to use on the final project.

Please let me know if there’s anything else you need from me to better explain my intentions. I will wait for your reply. This is not a rush job, more of a side project. This last challenge is one of the only things holding me up on this project.

Thanks.
Randy

Posted: 23 September 2021 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again for the files, Randy.

I had started to explore the “e” in the file, as it seems a simple letter typically, but it has all the problems typically in it. For example, what is the black and white HUD? That is the problem when I get files that have many objects in them. Hence why I always ask for a small file that focuses on the problem. It is the best practice going by doing this in the past two decades.

What name has the material and the object you are after, and what animation direction do you need?

Btw, have you ever done this drill from the past thread/post number 9? This is an essential drill, and I have done this even with Fortune 500 senior Graphic Artists. They got it typically in 5 minutes, and the “coin dropped” with UV.

https://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/3551/#13850

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 September 2021 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2021-06-22

The HUD was just a sample of the type of graphic I may want to apply to one of the letters in this overall animation. The photos (like the text) would be something else I would want to map on the extrusion of a letter and move along the extrusion (you could use any one as an example).

I apologize for not explaining my file better. Because I don’t understand how to do this I could only include samples of the types of the images I hope to map on any one of these letters. I suspect it’s the same technique with an image as with text. If however it’s different on a curved letter (like an S, lower case e, or O) then adding a map to the flat side of the P or any other straight edge would also be helpful.

The “Assetts.png” is a typical material I’d want to map. Either direction (left/right) that travels along the extrusion would work. I’m sure I can understand how this is being performed once studying the file.

No I have not done the drill you mentioned but I’d be more than willing. I’m desperately trying to understand UV mapping. I believe Jona mentioned that in the Webinar this morning. I’m sorry I don’t understand the past thread/post number 3 but I’ll search in the forum.

Posted: 23 September 2021 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2021-06-22

Dr. Sassi,

It’s nearing the end of my day and with notifications of your responses going to another email address I’ll have to pick up on this tomorrow. If there’s a link or path you could send for that uv mapping drill I’m more than interested.
I apologize for not understanding where to find it - I’m just not as familiar with this forum as others.

Thank you for all your help. UV mapping in all 3D apps I’ve used has always been something I’ve struggled with. If there’s any program I can get it with, it’s Cinema. It’s really laid out better than any 3D program I’ve used to date.

Posted: 24 September 2021 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Randy,

Here is the link:
https://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/3551/#13850

Would you please ignore for the time being whatever you have heard about UVs? Thank you! grin See it as a little game. Watch the short screen capture first.

There are four “images” in that one picture. The file has four polygons, with that also four UV polygons. Line up the UV polygons around the distorted four image elements, so they become like an Andy Warhol silk-print. While doing so, you will see how that UV polygon enables the placement. IF you have any problems, please let me know; I’m happy to help.

After that little drill, we can move to other steps.

Enjoy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2021 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2021-09-24

Thank you Dr. Sassi,

I will attack this as soon as I put some fires out. Thanks for the link, can’t wait to ramp up on this. Also got my Maxon account squared away. Shouldn’t be any delays getting responses.

Posted: 24 September 2021 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, Randy.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2021 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2021-09-24

Dr. Sassi,

Life (or work in this case) tends to get in the way of my learning UV mapping. I’ve simply got too much on my plate that needs my attention to get to this lesson today. I’ll be spending most of my weekend going over what you’ve so generously supplied.

I echo what helloimneil said in his/her comments. UV mapping is an elusive area of Cinema but one I too am determined to understand. Thank you so much for your dedication to this community.

I’ll be in touch in the very near future.

Posted: 24 September 2021 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Randy.

This little drill can be done in 5-10 minutes, and that’s it. Don’t make it bigger than it is. The problem that I have encountered instructing this theme is that people who don’t do this little drill need much longer. If at all. Listen to people who tell you it is not easy, do not help at all here. Play.
The core point is, forget for that moment everything you have on your mind about UV, especially bad instructions or the idea that it is difficult.

Just play, five minutes. Done. Perhaps do it the next day again. There is resistance in most artists about this, and it can’t be taught away; it needs to be worked out. Five minutes…

Enjoy your weekend.

Signature 

NEW: