A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Clone rotation of every other row
Posted: 16 September 2021 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2017-09-06

Hi Smart Peoples!
I know this is probably super simple but my brain is drawing a total blank.
If i have a cloner on a single object, i.e a honeycomb and the rows are offset.
I want the offset rows rotated 90˚. not random.
How do i do that?

Thanks!
Sharon

Posted: 16 September 2021 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Sharon,

I’m not clear what “90º + Rows” exactly would mean in this context, so I have prepared two files.

Examples
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/GwWm0wE410DbSCpj1L3tDioJRKs8PQUiOcx3ZN0vzZb

This might help to clear it or even solve your question. Either way, please let me know what you need if none of these fit! I’m happy to look into it.

Enjoy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 September 2021 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-09-06

Dr. S!!! you’re awesome for replying so quickly.
But i think I didn’t describe it correctly, that’s on me.
I saw this image on GreyscaleGorilla’s tutorial.
I think what i meant to say was, how you can have one row facing one way, and another row facing the other direction.
i.e. One row is facing to the right, the next to the left, the next to the right, the next to the left.
Maybe that explains it better.
Thank you!

Sharon

Posted: 16 September 2021 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2017-09-06

DR. S…
I think maybe your second file, the one with the patonics and the selection tags, might be the answer.
I wasn’t sure if it that was the way to go, or if there was a way to just use a plain/random somehow.
Thanks!

Posted: 16 September 2021 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, Sharon.

So the clones in one row should be different from the next row.

I would do it with the formula Effector, which is easier to use than the name suggests.

If you type the number 1 into the formula field, each clone will get “one time” the value in the Parameters if you type in 2, then twice.
So, it is in this was very close to being a Plain effector.

For each clone, there is a one-time calculation through this field. So, for example, if you type in ID, the first one would be seen as zero, the next as one, then two, etc.
I left the Index on (Attribute Manager> Cloner> Transform> Display> Index)

The formula that I have used reads like this: If this is true; then value #1; otherwise, value #2

The module function divides the ID by the divider mod(ID; divider) and produces the reminder. So with the amount of clones per double row, we can determine what amount is in one row and which clones are in the next. (Please note that I have set the Honeycomb to Offset Direct> Width.

So we ask, is it larger (or smaller, in the other Effector)? If so, then 1; otherwise 0. With that, we have an exact definition and get a one or zero, which applies to the clones or not the 90º, for example. (or -90º in the other Effector)

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/6hfAYOLdkD1EDTm93o3uUFXwMCE0xRPs2W75UnGB4L5

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2021 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2017-09-06

Dr. S.
Thank you for putting that into expression terms.
Now i understand what is happening. I didnt know you could put in expressions in the formula.
Maybe you guys on Monday training or ask a trainer can do a session on formula basics?
I’ve a background in AE expressions, but still unclear how to apply those in C4D.
Thank you again for the good teaching moment.
Sharon

Posted: 17 September 2021 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Sharon,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

The best place is the Ask The Trainer (ATT). It is one of the “un-scripted” sessions; random examples are often shown until questions show up. … and we love these questions. Those questions should drive the “show”, not the prepared examples.

The quality of the ATT is based on interactivity and to get the perspective of several trainers to the same question, as often there are many solutions and not just one. This is also the place where the how is more the theme than the why.

Typically people tune out when it comes to nodes and formulas, going by my nearly two decades of effort getting people to use XPresso wink

Monday Sessions are more scripted, and questions need to be along the theme presented. Otherwise, the focus of each hour would vanish.

ENJOY

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 17 September 2021 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2017-09-06

Dr. S, that’s good to know.
I’ll make a note for Sept 23. 
I think showing a formula for a quickie fix for something like this, would keep the audience attention for a short time.
the lengthy math stuff is where artists’ eyes glaze over.

thanks for your time.
Sharon

Posted: 17 September 2021 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much, Sharon.

Please note that the Sept 23rd might be dominated with RedGiant and Cinema 4D R25 new release based questions.

I’m always happy to answer here.

I’m not certain if you are aware about this list of options:
https://help.maxon.net/c4d/r25/en-us/Default.htm#html/6194.html?TocPath=Appendix|_____2

Also here, I’m happy to look into any question. Just let me know.

Enjoy your weekend.

Sept 23rd
Join the Maxon Training Team for #AskTheTrainer on Thursday 23rd September, with special guests Nate Haight and Andrew Krajewski (product managers for Trapcode Suite and VFX Suite), as we answer questions on the new Maxon releases, including Cinema 4D R25, Trapcode Particular and VFX Bang!

Signature 

NEW: