A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloning onto scaled nulls
Posted: 07 July 2021 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2021-05-22

I imported a FBX with random nulls all positioned, rotated and scaled all differently.  How do I clone an object so they pick up all the rotations positions and scaling of the nulls?  Object mode doesn’t work with the nulls grouped or put into a connect.  I tried dragging all the nulls into a tracer, but I didn’t get it to work.  I’m using R23

Thanks for any help!
Brett

Posted: 08 July 2021 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Brett,

If you have a lot of Nulls with PSR values, and you would like to have them all replaced by an object:

Use the Main Menu> Tools> Replace With… (note the cogwheel near the menu for extra options!)

If you like to keep the Nulls, perhaps create a copy first.

There is little extra work if Nulls are the initial object: they have no Phong tag, for example. But that is typically not a big deal to fix.
Since I have no idea about your setup, please test this with a backup.

Select the Nulls
Call up the Replace with … function
Click on the object
Press return.

Screen-capture
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kihHZS5gSR7NYEJSmGrHts4jkOCLjmcezISZCh1andC

Let me know if that works, if not please share the file and some information about what happened.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 July 2021 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2021-05-22

Ya.. I was hoping to have a cloner / instance on each null to have it be speedier.  I can try this method with the replace too.  But I think I did earlier without much luck.  As I have 900 or so nulls (I think)  I’ll keep testing and try to get something uploaded

Posted: 08 July 2021 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2021-05-22

PS, the replace is wonky in my scene.  For some reason it won’t allow it unless one null is in the scene at a time.  Maybe because of the naming of the nulls.  I’m not really too sure.  You would think there is a simple way to view nulls and their rotations and scales how a cloner would see an object and the points on an object.  Probably a workaround I’m not familiar with.

Posted: 08 July 2021 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2021-05-22

ok.. using instances and double clicking seemed to work with the replace.  Darn double click!!!  Didn’t realize.  Thank you for the reply!

Posted: 08 July 2021 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Brett,

You’re welcome.

If you have 900 Nulls, perhaps an XPresso setup makes sense here, e.g., keeping the tags on the objects. But “Replace” should be faster, and it is done, not calculated each frame! (Iteration, Link Lists, and exchange of Matrix Information.)

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]