A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Randomizing Child Objects of Nested Cloner
Posted: 04 July 2021 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-10-04

I’m creating a chandelier with multiple crystals. The child cloner is in Object Mode where I have instances of a crystal object positioned along a spline. This cloner is a child of a cloner in Radial Mode where I rotate 47 copies. I’d like to add some randomized rotation to the individual crystals. When I add a random effector to the child cloner it will only randomly effect the rotation of each individual “strand” of crystals. This same random rotation is repeated in each subsequent copy of the parent cloner in Radial Mode. How would I go about randomizing each individual crystal with a similar setup? As you can tell I do not use Mograph very often. Thanks, Kevin

Posted: 04 July 2021 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2013-10-04

I actually have three images to attach to this post and I can’t figure out how to do that.  Please advise.

Posted: 05 July 2021 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi kwhitt,

Thanks for the effort of the images. Typically a scene file is all I need. Unfortunately, images are not a good source for this kind of question, and quite honestly, the size limitations render them pretty much useless. Sorry about that. Please check your Private Message here, top middle of the forum’s interface.

I will have a look

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 05 July 2021 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2013-10-04

Thanks Dr. Sassi.  I just uploaded the file.  I’ve been watching Mograph training videos for several hours now.  Could it be that the Fracture object would be useful in this situation?  I haven’t tried it as I’m not sure how it would integrate into the hierarchy.  Thanks again for taking a look.  Kevin

Posted: 05 July 2021 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the files, Kevin!

Here is the simplest version that I can think of. It allows for painting on every single clone a MoGraph Weigh to define how randomly you like to have on each, while the setup has only a few parts.

The idea was to take the “profile” with the 11 elements and create a Spline via MG-Tracer. Then produce an object, and use that as a “matrix”.
The adjustability is certainly given. Although the Loft can be invisible, I left it on to showcase the idea.

File: (I did not use any original part of your file, so I hope it is OK to share it.)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/fQRRsA1qg4wL0Qsb5ZILnNBQDWMvsO0PsXmh85wLa3D

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 July 2021 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2013-10-04

Thank you Dr. Sassi.  Brilliant solution and much simpler than I had anticipated.  I appreciate you taking the time to help.  Kevin

Posted: 05 July 2021 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Kevin, thanks for taking the time.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

NEW: