A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Time track for point cache and particles?
Posted: 23 June 2021 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2020-01-07

I am working on a VFX shot of a shark jumping out of the water. It is a mix of hand keyframes shark, with XPartciles for the ocean and foam. We have baked out the shark with a point cache, and have caches on the XParticle ocean mesh, and the particles driving the foam.

The client now wants a speed ramp, from normal speed to slow motion. After doing a little research, I saw there is a “Time track” option which seems great. I know it works on keyframes, but he mentions caches but does not show it. Of course, if I can tie all these animations to one “time track” and do a global scale, it would be great.
So, my question, can I attach a cache, and a point cache to a “time track”? I don’t see the option. Hoping I missed it.

Before you ask, I would love to upload the scene for you to review, but I am under NDA wink

Thanks in advance.

P

Posted: 23 June 2021 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2021-06-02

I haven’t used the time track method but i have used a little xpresso and userdata to manage more than one aspect in one track though. There’s also a very handy free plugin for c4d called Magic Slow Motion that can be applied to the whole project for global control.

Posted: 23 June 2021 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07
chris_rossi83 - 23 June 2021 02:30 PM

I haven’t used the time track method but i have used a little xpresso and userdata to manage more than one aspect in one track though. There’s also a very handy free plugin for c4d called Magic Slow Motion that can be applied to the whole project for global control.

Wow..that sounds promising! Will look now.

Posted: 23 June 2021 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

well, sadly, the link is dead… :(

Posted: 23 June 2021 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

hmm..works in Firefox. Woohoo..gonna install now..let’s see if it works with all the different caches.

Posted: 23 June 2021 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

Ok, good try, but does not seem to work with Caches.

Posted: 23 June 2021 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi psussi,

Perhaps try this:

Export the Shark as an Alembic file.
Switch the Shark to invisible for any render.
Merge this file back into the scene.
You get an Attribute Manager> Object> Time Remap.

With X-Particles: Cache it and have a look at the Cache object,
Attribute Manager> Object> Playback> Retiming> Custom.

Now all you have to do is feed the Spline interface from one into the other. XPresso.
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/sR9Gcwie9hoDaMiWFuOYvwDRPBSd6koEAYoLrZmpkXk

IN this case the X-Particles Spline interface is made the control station. Here you edit your timing.

Please test this carefully, as I have never done this with X-Particles in the mix!

I would avoid Time Track. Why? Because there is no way in a complex project to see where it is applied to. This might create a very uncomfortable situation at one point. Nothing that I wish to happen for anyone.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 June 2021 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2021-06-02

I’m glad you got the plugin but sorry to hear it didn’t work, Dr Sassi’ method is defo the better option tbh lol

Hope you manage to solve the issue though.

Posted: 23 June 2021 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Chris, for your contribution.

It is never an easy undertaking to support while having no access to the project; For many reasons.

Enjoy!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]