A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
can i freeze a pose
Posted: 07 April 2021 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi, Im in a bind, if I pose a rigged figure, is it possible to ” freeze ” that pose? I just need a posed figure for a still image, this way, when I open and close c4D, the pose remains, thank you for your time, in a mad rush, best, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 07 April 2021 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

• You could keyframe all joints and have that pose fixed based on that frame.
  Time Line> film-strip icon un-checked, when pose if fine.

• You could Select the object in that specific pose and use the
  Object Manager> Object> Current State to Object.
  Then set the original one to in-visible (editor/render wise).

• Animation clip, and “bake” only that frame you need.

• If your object is animated, open a new project, load it via XRef,
  uncheck Attribute M.> Object>Animation of the Xref and set the frame you are after.

• Apply a PoseMoprh to the Rig (not animated), call up a new
  pos/rot/hierarchy PoseMorph and set your character as needed.

• Point Cache

• Pose Library comes to mind.

I hope one or the other option helps. You wrote in a mad rush, so my answer is short.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 April 2021 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

thx, but I am not animating this model. I just want to pose my figure, freeze that pose to use in a still image. Can you please explain the most expediate way to do this,? thank you, Craig
PS- itried curent state to object, and it didnt work ;(

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 07 April 2021 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

I have sent you an upload link via Cineversity Private Messages.

I will get an email when a file is uploaded from Dropbox and will have a look instantly into it.

Talk to you soon.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 April 2021 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

thx, cant access the private message, dont know where to got I forgot, shall I upload my model,? it may be heavy?

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 07 April 2021 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

URL removed, I got the file, thanks!

Please copy the url, I will take it down ASAP.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 April 2021 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

thank you sir, some materials are missing, but not important for my knowledge here, thx, CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 07 April 2021 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig, I got the Character.

Thank you.

It is in a T-Pose, is that the one you like to have?

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 April 2021 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

it came in a T-pose, but I want to pose it base upon my client request- basically Dr. Sassi, I want to keep the main character as a backup, and pose a figure, freeze/keep that pose and save it, so when i place it in a scene, my “frozen” pose will be in tact, if I am not clear, please let me know, best, CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 07 April 2021 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

I’m not convinced that this can be converted to the functionality you like to have in a reasonable time frame.

In a nutshell, delete all (!) keyframes (Timeline, select all and get rid of them), then use a copy of the whole file and pose it as you like. Done (To a certain degree). Next copy…

Less attractive and with some problems:

Select all joints, PoseMorphs, etc., and delete the keyframes. I assume you are familiar with the PoseMorph. Since I write in a forum, I might give more details than you need.

From what I see, I would go with the PoseMorph. Place it to the Businessman Null, and set it to Hierarchy, Position, and Rotation. Call up a new pose in Edit mode and set your Character as needed. For each new pose, use a new Pose. Then go to Animate Mode and call up the pose you need. Keep always a backup. It is not 100%!

(The Character> Manger> Pose Library Manager comes to mind as well. But I would use the PoseMorph here.)

I find this Character not ready for primetime, but I also do not know what you need.

The whole rig is set up in a mixed way, SDS and polygons are in the middle of the joints, and then others are outside. Parts of the joints are not even connected. Not all joints are in the same hierarchy.

There is one brute-force way to get this done:
https://help.maxon.net/r23/en-us/Default.htm#html/TCAWEIGHT-ID_TAGPROPERTIES.html#ID_CA_WEIGHT_TAG_JOINTS_LIST
Use always a copy for this. Shift-Click and Set Deformation. This can work, but only if you set all PoseMorph objects to relative (delete the connections - in the advanced tab), and the PoseMorph’s keyframes are cleared. Even then, I get some problems, especially with the texturing.

I guess it would take a day to fix all of that and make it useable in the way you need this. Perhaps longer.
If you take all 59 polygon objects and merge those that can go together, I assume that you would have it rigged faster with a Character Object and save time using controllers instead of searching in that mixed-up rig for objects.

I understand so far that you like to have a character as given in the application Poser™, which can be adjusted with a mixer-type interface.
But this rig is not ready for that.

My advice:
Go with a Pose per the new copy option.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 April 2021 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

thx, Pose per new copy option ?, as in,? please explain?-thank you, cz

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 April 2021 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

You create a copy of the complete rig, then pose it and place maybe everything on a single layer. Then a new copy, and pose it.

I have taken it apart and used just the main parts:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ZmPrq7uOHl6RKZSexheuAIAwWoMNbEvruTMnQVEa1IU

It is a quick and dirty example (needs more love in terms of weighting), but it showcases the Character Object’s simplicity (Mixamo Rig). You click on a controller (the splines around the body, and rotate or move it. If those controllers are selected, a short Reset PSR sets them back.
No searching, just making decisions.

The 01 file is the Character Object as it can be easily adjusted, and file 11 shows the result after made editable. The textures are not in the file.
You might also look in the Content Browser to get some ideas on how things could work. I hope this illustrates a little bit of the point of view where I’m coming from.

The idea of a rig is to be not in the way when you like to pose it. It should be clicking and adjusting, not searching and get focusing on gear. Since my intention is to work with it and enjoy your time creating, here is a tiny little screen capture. Note that resetting all Controllers at once is a catastrophe.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/OieAdgXUjfEsMbyW1BMoF9bdwGZ3OwWsD7IDMX7voOF

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 April 2021 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Good morning, Dr. Sassi, at least in NY it is. Thank you you for your reply; I’ll look at it in more detail later. Thank you for your time. You gave me an idea, that to you is simple and obvious, but to me a revelation; this is what happens when you are a solo practitioner,  and don’t do some things enough to be an expert, or at least seem like one; key frames! I made a simple pose with key frames, saved, opened then closed the file, and the pose stayed the same, so far , so good, and I am very appreciative of your brains and effort, as always . I am very apprehensive of this project, since I am no authority in rigging, but I feel better now, having conversed with you-BTW, I issued a ticket, and the response was to ” current state to object,” which we see doesn’t work. I’ll send them the file anyway, just to see. Thanks again, you are a true asset in this world, stay safe, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 April 2021 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Good Morning to you as well, Craig, and here in L.A., it seems to be a good day as well.

Yes, the majority seems to be generalists and “one-wo/man shows,” as some call it. For those, it might be a good idea to check out the “Maxon Workshop | Ask The Trainer” show, and get some additional perspectives on how to do things.

I use Cinema 4D for roughly a quarter-century, and I learn something new every day. I have yet to meet someone who knows it all.
With that, I mean not just the tools and functions but also what is possible to combine.

We have a four-digit amount of tools and functions, connect them with each other, and theoretically one million combinations are given. Combine three, and it becomes clear that no one has explored them all. But yes, listening to tutorials (last weekend, I went through 25 of them with an average of 20 minutes each), what stood out was the sentence “I use that a lot”. In my mind, that forms an idea that the one using some parts a lot is not really having any time left to use other stuff.

Seriously, we all love that we can combine things that no one has done before and create something that has an attractive freshness to them.
The common idea of “I know that” is, of course, a stopping point in one’s development. Worse, “I should know that” creates an internal mood that is not healthy.
My suggestion, go with the “What happens if…?” mantra in your head. “I do that a lot”, hehe.
When I don’t know something or not good enough to teach it to someone (my internal test), then right-mouse-click and the help is open. After a minute or two, I feel better. Yes, it never stops, and we even ask for new features that precisely this will never stop. So the feeling of not knowing everything is self-inflicted, requested even, and should be welcomed!

The Current State To Object [CSTO] is a suggestion that I had in my list above. You might notice that a decade ago, I switched to a habit of asking for a file. Now around ten thousand replies later, I can confirm, if any answer is given based on guesswork, time is wasted more often than not. Here I allow myself to say, “I know that”. I can make that CSTO work, but I have to go to each polygon-object and set it up correctly. The result of that is in the file above (post #11). I made that list, as you mentioned time pressure, which made me do this guess list, against my better judgement.

Anyway, I’m glad you ask, which helps me understand what is needed and wanted. Now doing this Q&A forums game for nearly 17 years, I have learned a lot. I hope my return was at least equally valuable. We all like to create, and as long as I can, I will support this here.

ENJOY, and stay safe as well.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 April 2021 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

I love reading your thoughts-although you know much more than me ( and you are smarter wink) your humility reminds me that in the end, we are all human. you are correct, saying, ” i should know that!” is not healthy, but I am working on correcting that and of my other flaws, all, 1,000,000 of them. I always learn from you, it’s been a while that I’ve been here, doing other things, learning, fluid sim, modeling insects, ZB, etc, but it is nice to converse w/Dr. Sassi. for a refresher,  stay safe, healthy creative, and until next time, all the best, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 April 2021 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re too kind, Craig.

We all have the same option to focus on what we love or what we do not like at all. It takes the same time and energy to do so (roughly). But the outcome is so different.
The art of living nicely is certainly based on ignoring people who stuck in the past and reminding us what we did badly or had back then. (I have lost a lot in my life, being a widower is one of those losses), but it has made me enjoy more what I have right now. What I can do right now.

To support and see how things are growing around me, is wonderful.
I really love every question here, when I feel that it will push a project further. I’m really grateful about that.
If it is not perfect, I typically find a workaround.
Creating is more fun than to just know it better.

Craig, keep going and the more we push forward, the more we know what we didn’t know.
As my brother always said: The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the beach of questions.

Enjoy, and yes, it can’t be said enough these days: stay safe.

Signature 

NEW:

1 of 2