A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Flipping Book Pages with MoGraph, Part 2
Posted: 01 April 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-07-10

I"ve got my animation and shader set up but I have two more questions:
How can I rotate my pages so they fit right?
Is there any way to get rid of the big gap?
-View my still for further detail.

Posted: 01 April 2012 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Davelarson,

Move the Bend Deformer on its P.Y axis until you get the best results. It might be the best to use the animation roughly in the middle of the time. The Bend Deformer is for responsible for the Bend of the pages. Take a copy of your set up and explore the scene, what each part does.
Rotating the pages, what did you use to set them up? If possible, make the page editable, if it is not already a Polygon and rotated the UV(W) polygons in the way you need them.

=========

I have attached an alternative solution. It has no Step-Effector in it, so if learning the Step-Effector was the key, skip it. If you need for a project this effect, you might check it out. Keep in mind that I use here only four steps for the Blending of the clones, you might introduce other Deformers (like the Twist) to get a more natural result. Note that 90º is not simple to archive without intersecting pages, so 81º seemed to be a fairly go start.

Best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_MGfb_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 58KB - Downloads: 495)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 April 2012 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: here a version with the Twist Deformer that I mentioned, and some more pages.

File Attachments
CV2_r13_drs_12_MGfb_02.c4d.zip  (File Size: 75KB - Downloads: 477)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 April 2012 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2008-07-10

Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate your timely responses.
I do understand the step effector, so I’m staying with the first scenario. I’ve rotated all my pages via photoshop, so they line up now. The only trouble I"m still having is how use 2 get to get different images on the front and the back, I don’t feel your tutorial fully explains that.  It seems what is needed is a shader that has all the front sides, then a different shader that has all the back sides?

Posted: 02 April 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Right, the part of the texturing is not included. As you have mentioned it: For the pages 1, 3, 5, 7, etc you take the “Front” setting in the texture tag, and for the other ones (2, 4, 6, 8, etc) the “Back” setting.

Texture Tag>Tag, Side>>Front/Back

This is dependent on the Normal of a Polygon (or of course all polygons).

Yes, what to include and what not is always a difficult question. What ever I do, it will fit to one need and others will be unhappy that I explain everything and waste their time. Sorry, if it was for your (this time) too focused, but for that I try to keep an eye on the Forum.

Yes Photoshop is a way to go as well, especially with Action Scripts.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 April 2012 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2008-07-10

I’m getting a whole lot closer on this, I’m just stuck with trying to get the pages to close-up again quickly at the end of the animation. after they hold for a bit. I know it has to be some mix between the step effecter spline and the bend deformer, I just can’t get the right combination.Can you tell me what I’ve got wrong?

File Attachments
Booklet Illustration.c4d.zip  (File Size: 259KB - Downloads: 369)

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

Try to change the Effector that makes them flip based on the Falloff to adjust in movement, that should do the trick. The F-Curve is the best place to fine-tune that.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 13 April 2012 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2008-07-10

The F curves helped get the timing right. My problem now is is that when the pages flip over they stack in the wrong order, So page 2 flips past page 1 at the end of the cycle, and so on with 3,4, 5.  So on the left side, you always see the back side of page 1, because all the other pages flip past it.

Posted: 13 April 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2008-07-10

Also, one other question. When I render to the picture viewer all my textures are right side up, but when I render to Net render, it flips them all 180 degrees. What on earth is this?

Posted: 13 April 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Dave,

Have you tried it with the Cache Tag?

Net Render should be handled from the support. That sounds pretty weird.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 13 April 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2008-07-10

Can’t seem to find the Cache tag for a texture.

Posted: 13 April 2012 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Right, there is no texture cache and I do not mentioned such tag. The MoGraph cache, to get all the information, as far as possible cached. Which is a standard recommendation while using Net-render.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-01

I make this kind of digital flipping book via this tool: http://www.kvisoft.com/flipbook-maker-pro/ . And there is no white gap in the contre. Hope it helps.

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey May,

You can use for everything special software tools, right. Which means you don’t get deep into the application itself. Tutorials are here to give people an understanding of how the object, tools and functions work. Yes some people understand Cineversity as a library for problem solving, but that is not possible to solve any challenge thinkable. We like to share what we thing makes an motivated artist able to solve any reasonable challenge.

To just use “ready to use—solution” helps perhaps to solve a current problem, but keeps the skill set very flat, and with that the “artist” is easily replacable. Not my ideal as a result. On the other hand, you have to go out of C4D with “your” solution, and with that out of the option to have the book interacting with 3D at all. My doing here is to elevate the Artists/Members/Students of Cineversity, to dive deep into the tools and start from a position of power to solve problems. The opposite of my ideal is the “application jockey”, who ask for a single button solution—always, and is not really interested in solving problems.

Skill and knowledge—is the base to have success on the long run.

I assume that you have no direct connections to this company, as it has nothing to do with MAXON or 3D at all. In that way it feels like advertisement and I’m not certain if I have to delete the link, if so.

Thanks of course, as I think your initial intention was to support, but please understand that the idea of Cineversity is to support people in creating C4D related solution based on knowledge that they receive here on a trader level, not to get stuff done with “3rd party ready to use solution”, for several reasons. Yes, I know, people need to solve problems and deadlines, which is not doable with 3rd party stuff on the long run, as they have their own limitations and problems perhaps. Long story, on the end the one who has the knowledge and the creativity survives in our business, not the one who knows how to order new software, or 3d-kits to solve a problem.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Proxy errors

Signature 

NEW: