A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

bake object
Posted: 20 November 2020 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2017-09-19

Hello,

In the attachment I have created an environment.
It is not quite possible to get the wall beautiful (UV mapping / baking?).

Most importantly, the situation in the room does not change, the camera moves from the outside to the inside.
Is this a situation where you can best bake the material to reduce the render time??

Thanks for the help.

PS: For this question I have completely cleaned out the room (in my situation, he is full of stuff).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ho6cl09n1zhqz/Bake object.zip?dl=0

Posted: 20 November 2020 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

Thanks for using DropBox. I found only a fraction of the textures in it.

With only the camera moving, baking an object is a great idea. I missed a lot of textures in your model. The tex folder had only two in it.

Please keep in mind that every object has some reflections, even dull or close to a nearly not noticeable level, but we are used to having it, even it is not recognized actively. Some bricks include some sparkling elements, some or just dull. In short, moving around in the room, will alter the effect, so baking the light, but not any reflections, might be the best mix, while targeting short render-times.

I see that the two wall objects are brick-walls. The third object is the ceiling. I would keep those separated, based on material.

As a side note, the beauty of baking light and textures is that one can paint into the textures more details.

I would merge the two Wall objects first. Based on the idea to bake perhaps Global Illumination into the Texture, any repetition (Tile) is prohibited.
With bricks, you set an extra challenge. There is a certain structure to bricks.
A good brick wall follows the rules, and that is simply put, any size that the wall has, follows a multitude of the brick size ideally. It doesn’t work as a wall-paper would.

To organize the UVs accordingly, if the “Set” is already built is a way to get this in believable results.

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/hard_surface_model_uv_unwrapping/

Once you Merged these two objects (Object Manager> Object> Connect Objects and Delete), you can go to the UV Editor.
With the Texture in the background, you can organize the UV accordingly.
Here is exactly why a one push-button solution will not work, as the bricks demand care. The Bake process has no clue about this kind of logic.
Of course, it is up to you if the texture looks like a wall-paper or a real brick structure. For me, having grown up in a larger construction company and worked there a lot, while having worked long enough as an architect, fake brick walls pull my attention so much that it throws me out of the movie when set designers have no clue about it. But being a fine art artist, I know that we can use anything pre-conditioned in one’s (audience) head to gain an effect. So, the decision on what to do is of course yours.

The Bake Texture or Bake Object, while no texture overlaps, is then a straight forward process. Just avoid any checkbox that would allow creating a new UV!

With the Illumination baked in, the rendering should be much faster and flicker-free.

Going through your scene file, I would take all the objects that create the window, for example, and Connect-Delete all parts with the same material. Then set up a proper UV and texture size and bake from there.

My suggestion, do this process first with some dummy objects in a new scene to see how it works. To start with, your scene might limit your explorer spirit.

Let me know if there is any question, as the whole model has certainly some specifics not mentioned here.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 November 2020 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2017-09-19

Thanks for the explanation, I’ll get to work on it.

Posted: 23 November 2020 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Annet.

Please let me know if there is an open question. I’m happy to look into it.

One side of this work’s complexity is mostly based on the individual project and its target. Target means here quality, speed, and of course, the aesthetic that the project should have.

The UV is the main craft part on the other side of the work; it should work fine after that.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 November 2020 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Short Run-Down: Baking.

Here is a short “run-down” of the steps and where problems might hit the baking work.

The project file and one-minute screen capture.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Qkm4ig5ELgLwU4BkVdVC06C7VnHSrKLuWQYP4CLAlqr

Since each project has different requirements, it is not simple to provide in a short time a general introduction. I could easily fill a hands-on training day with this or a web-based-volume-training for a similar amount of time.

There are many options to find a sweet-spot for each project like I did many years ago, an example with multiple baked versions and blend those as needed. However, as with Camera mapping, some things can’t be baked at all for animations. Like reflections or refractions, etc. In fact, pretty much anything might suffer more or less from baking, but on end, what is noticeable and what one can get away with is the knowledge to have.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 November 2020 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

I had hoped to get the additional textures. Anyway, no problem, I used my own now. The two walls that will serve as an example for the bake have been merged. The brick texture I used in the screen-capture above was here to set up the UV. If there is a different brick size or layering of the bricks, then it might need adjustment.

I have backed it with the lights but switched from Soft Shadow to Area. Soft shadows shouldn’t be used from my point of view, at least not in production. They are not really based on shadow calculation, more of a raster-based on probes, and from there, “shadows” are interpolated. Which will cause problems more often than not. I sadly see them even decades later. For baking, which is a one time render, the best lights should be used, not fake ones.

I have added the two missing walls for the GI baking, as everything in GI will affect the result, to “removable walls” are helping to get the bounce light into the scene. On a practical set, where those walls are removed to give the camera more space, soft lights replace the effect. We don’t need that in Cinema 4D, as “walls” can be visible for GI but not for the direct camera view.
I placed bricks on these walls as well, to stay in the theme of that room.

I have reduced the scene to three copies of the wall with texture, standard bake, and GI based baking. All other elements are in your scene.

Please note that any baking should be done with all elements in the scene, especially while using GI. So, my results will be incomplete.

Project file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/fcP7D1RWUPiR60bRCeVpJTAA1uax7DZNQwM5gw0N6c1

ENJOY

Signature 

NEW: