A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How To Rotate An Entire Animation At Once
Posted: 20 November 2020 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-21

I’ve imported a Mixamo animation into a C4D file. It works fine. If I want to move the whole animation at once I can use the animation mode and the Live Selection tool and move the animation from side to side or up and down. No problem.

The problem is how to rotate the entire animation at once. Using the animation mode and selecting the Rotate Tool, the whole animation will not rotate. I’m not referring to rotating a single frame in the animation. I’m talking about rotating the entire animation at once. So if an animation is facing one way and I want the whole animation to face another way, how can that be done?

Is there a way to rotate the entire animation at once? If so, how is it done?

Thanks!

Posted: 20 November 2020 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi pacificm,

Sounds like your file is too large to share. Character animations might have a lot of elements. So, a general answer might end in a disaster.

Three options.

1)
Having said that, typically, anything in Cinema 4D relates to the World Origin as the main parent. This means, if you create a Null, with the Origin at zero for position and rotation and one for scale, you should be able to drag everything and this Null and rotate the Null then. Again, at the moment, there is an expression, for example, that operates on Global values, that will not fly.
Create this Null manually, do NOT use the Group short cut; it will typically not land on the World Origin point. A reason why I would love that the Group short cut would be eliminated for good and not spoken at all anymore wink
If the Null is not at zero (Pos/Rot) and one (scale), the animation might be broken for good. So, do it manually, please.

I hope this will work for you; as you mentioned, Mixamo, import and done, no additional influences.

2)
Set up animation clips, then use the Animation> Pivot Object, which can be set directly in the Animation Clip. The Pivot Object will take over.

3)
If you have just one animation sequence and the figure should move differently, use the Skin Object. In the Skin Object, you can determine which Coordinate system can be used. Skin> Object> Coord.: Object.
This sets the Object Coordinates as the main source for the animation and leaves the joint rig indented from its position.

Try each option with a copy, as I don’t know about the elements of your set up.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 22 November 2020 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-21

That did the trick.  Thanks for your help!

Posted: 22 November 2020 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, pacificm.

Thanks for taking the time.

Have a great weekend

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Plane cut won’t select      bake object ››