A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
Suggest a Topic!
Posted: 28 December 2011 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

What would you like us to cover on future Cineversity Live shows?
In this thread, you can submit questions or topics you’d like us to address in future shows.

Posted: 12 January 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-03-06

I would like to see some thinking particles+espresso.

- How to create an explosions upon impact of two objects, for example.
- How to simulate snowfall; snow falling, whriling and piling up on surfaces.

I would also like to see the workflow between C4D and Motion

Posted: 14 January 2012 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-03-29

I would like to learn about mapping HDR images to geometry (as opposed to just a sky/dome object) in order to light objects in a scene, similar to what is discussed here: 

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the_curious_case_of_aging_visual_effects/

“The integration team that was on set basically surveyed every piece of equipment on set and we took HDRs for all the different head positions as we were shooting. We then had modellers rebuild the set from the survey data. We built shader systems that could take HDRs and project them back onto the set geometry”

Seems like this should work in C4D, but not really sure where to start.

Thanks!
Biagio

Signature 

We make TV and film, and podcast about it.
Joke Productions - company site
Producing Unscripted - podcast and blog about unscripted television
Joke and Biagio - filmmaking blog

Posted: 28 January 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-11-29

Hi,

I am transitioning from Maya as an animator and i must say i really like c4d, although currently i haven’t bothered learning any of the graph editor functions because i have been consumed with the rest of the program. wink

One thing i would like to know more about is the graph editor for animation in c4d, I am very familiar with the graph editor in Maya but i am having some difficulty transitioning what i know into c4d.. i.e block splining, straight to spline, ghosting, animation layers etc.  Any chance we could see something on this stuff. I would have no problems going back to the very basics, like a bouncing ball.

this could clarify stuff for some of the new guys.

Best,

Ed

Posted: 10 February 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-02-19

This may be painfully boring for a live show, but I’d like to know more about the best/most reliable file interchange formats are available to 3D world and C4D users specifically.

Trends and forecast in Technically-oriented Industrial Designer and Hollywood/broadcast-style designers.

I make money between these two worlds. I do a lot of sales/marketing work for high-tech and healthcare industries and tend either get RAW CAD files from engineers OR 3D models from Maya/3D Studio Max users.

TOPIC 1:
What are the best, most reliable interchange formats?

I have/use PolyTrans (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm)—a great brute force file converter that runs on a PC…and seems to be able to import/export pretty much everything I throw at it except maybe the proprietary formats like a Maya or 3DMax native format.

TOPIC 2:
What are the advantages of the newer open 3D formats?
Do they preserve quad geometry, normals, vertex maps, PLA, and materials, scale/units, bone/joint rig, etc

I’ve got some experience with the conversions, but haven’t really concluded which format works best.
Usually once I get past the initial conversion, I’m focused on rebuilding/repainting the model in C4D…I don’t get paid to test the huge variety of differences in the 3D file exchange process…

Modern Interchange formats I know of:
FBX?
Collada?

Old standard formats
3DS?
OBJ?

Any other interchange formats worth knowing?
STL
VRML
RIB
—-

Generally speaking, what are the pros/cons of each format?

Knowing what breaks, when it breaks and sometimes why it break would be good to document for the C4D community at large….At least for the type of stuff I have to deal with.

Some of this file-exchange workflow issue was presented at SIGGRAPH this year, but I didn’t really grasp it all….

Signature 

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
- albert einstein

Posted: 01 March 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-10

i am an architect and im new to Cinema 4d, are there any tutorials for modelling and rendering buildings that you can direct me to?

Posted: 01 March 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-03-29

This page has a series of several long architecture modeling tutorials you might find interesting:

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/brainstew

And this long tutorial on tuts+

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/maxon-cinema-4d/model-texture-and-render-an-interior-scene-with-cinema-4d-and-vray-–-day-1/

Best
Biagio
http://www.jokeandbiagio.com

Signature 

We make TV and film, and podcast about it.
Joke Productions - company site
Producing Unscripted - podcast and blog about unscripted television
Joke and Biagio - filmmaking blog

Posted: 12 March 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2010-08-21

I would like to see a show on techniques to reduce the polygon counts of projects beyond low poly models. I heard someone mention in a cineversity tutorial that xpresso can be used to reduce polygon counts for objects that are far away but increases the count as the object gets closer. I would like to see that demonstrated.

Posted: 17 July 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2008-02-19

Not really a topic, but it would be cool if there was a schedule of shows posted. OK if it changes at the last minute too - just something better than an notification/tweet/email a few days before.

I realize you probably run a bit ad-hoc most of the year, but I enjoy the show/people enough that I’ve actually blocked this time slot in my calendar.

Cheers,
jamie

Signature 

- albert einstein

Posted: 17 July 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

CVLive has been on a bit of a hiatus post NAB and Bret’s departure.
Rick had to refocus on other tasks for the time being, but I do hope we can get it or something very similar started again.
I’ll bring it up at Siggraph this year.

Posted: 17 July 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2008-02-19

Thanks Pat.

I’ll miss SIGGRAPH this year (love the theme this year tho)

—hopefully Rick and team will have a livestream and another great collection of guest speakers lined up.

Cheers,
Jamie

Signature 

- albert einstein

Posted: 18 July 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2010-08-21

Patrick, you have already stated that there will be no Cineversity Live until at least after SIGGRAPH. That leaves all of us that used LIVE to hear about events around C4D without any way to hear about them. I was hoping that there would be at least one Live before SIGGRAPH to tell us what Maxon has planned for the event, if there will be live streaming and a special website like NAB had.

How can we find out about all these details?

Posted: 18 July 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Sorry for the hiatus, and the lack of communication. A variety of things contributed - including cohost issues, other responsibilities, a short vacation - basically May and June were pretty insane for me, and I’m just starting to get my head back above water.

We’re hoping to have a pre-SIGGRAPH warmup show of Live on Wednesday, August 1st. I think Pat may even be on the show, since he’ll be in town for SIGGRAPH.

We will be streaming live from SIGGRAPH, just as we did with NAB. The marketing guys are assembling the presenter info and further details should be posted soon.

Posted: 18 July 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Joined  2010-08-21

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping to be in L.A. but surgery will keep me home during SIGGRAPH. I will just stream the presentations to my big screen in my living room.

Posted: 03 October 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2008-02-19

—hope all is well, but looking forward to the next C4D nerd-cast.

If you host it, they will come.

Signature 

- albert einstein

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-05-11

When will there be another cineversity live?

1 of 2

[2011-12-28] Year in Review ››