A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Is there an MDD export?
Posted: 14 September 2020 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2020-01-07

I have a character that is animated via a MOCAP rig motion. I would like to bake it out so I can have a few baked motions but without the bones to keep a larger scene lighter as far as the character set up. In the past, I’d bake out an MDD file and attach it to my master model (meaning one master mesh, that I can attach several motions to). I don’t see that, but I do see Alembic. I can use that, but it exports the actual model and motions together. It also strips all the textures, and this particular model has over 20. Is there a way to have one master model, and attache motions to it (like MDD?). I’d hate to have to redo the textures every time I export an Alembic file.

Posted: 14 September 2020 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi psussi,

MDD animation export/import: Not to my knowledge.

PLA (Point Level Animation) is pretty much the same inside the application, available in Cinema 4D.

It is supported by Alembic and FBX, for example.

One can use PLA in the Animation Clips, but then again, you could use joints there and keep the file smaller.

MDD or PLA is relatively hard to manage; with greater mesh density, this becomes more obvious.

Example file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/tqkEv3dnPw6a20W5zj9CT5FkCUcZrvbb37EKmHUSBFM
The PLA animation was exported and imported back into the file.

As a side note:
I would need to see the files to suggest PoseMorph (absolute) to suggest this path.

Let me know if you like to have an upload link; I’m happy to set one up.
(Dropbox, Amazon, Google, Apple, Adobe, Wetransfer only, thanks)

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]