A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
Import and OBJ sequence then add audio
Posted: 10 September 2020 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tesselaar,

This feature is introduced in the R23 version.
I’m not familiar with the educational licensing, though.

As I’m under NDA, I couldn’t talk about this earlier, and I never would even hint or deny it. So, I had to communicate as this was something we don’t have.

Nice that you feel you make progress!

To answer your question, it will not be in S22.

My best wishes.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 September 2020 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2020-07-17

Hi Dr. Sassi.. I downloaded R23 and the education licence kicked in, so that is just wonderful!!!..

OBJ’s sequence WORKS!! smile

I found out that once the animation option is ticked, the entire OBJ’s sequence in that folder imports… WOW!!.. Over these past few months, I have searched the internet and fond sooo many people searching for options to import and export a OBJ sequence.. I am sure many of those people would be professional animators… Some people in some forums have told me that its a “Stupid way to animate”.. But it’s not!.. Its great for very short at high quality 3D animations.. And it has great value if the animation needs to be placed into a 3D scene such as a 3D Virtual Reality environment.. I also tried the Export OBJ’s and that works well too.. I then imported that same OBJ sequence, with no issues. Not only can I animate real looking models, including springs using C4D, I can now import/export. After import, I can save as a .abc file. But sad to say, SLC does not have any options to import the OBJ sequence or the .abc file yet..

I added my MM OBJ sequence into C4D fine.. And the animation works great.!!.. The texture is automatically added. I then exported the FBX, and notice that the file size increased heaps, so I was hopeful that the animation was captured. But sad to say, in the FBX viewer, no animation. So then I added the FBX into Simlab Composer. It added into the scene quite quickly.. But its the same as adding the OBJ sequence.. Its just one big group/blob of OBJ’s.. No animation.. I wonder if I send the FBX to Simlab tech support that they can work with it to make a sequence animation.. Not so sure they are keen in doing this. For professionals to use that software, they would need to add their own animated content. At the moment, it can add bone rigged FBX animations, but not morphed..

This is all great news Dr. Sassi.. I am certain that the new sequence options in CD4 will encourage 3D artist to use this software.. Using a sequence of OBJ’s a few years ago, might have had a limited use, but the need, in my view, has done a full circle. I firmly believe that the OBJ animation sequence has a very valuable use in 3D environments and many more uses. I was told that the file size would be huge, but so are video files. Many of them are in the GIGs..

Here is a thought for you to ponder over.. OBJ auto Retopologizing. Not sure if that is the correct term.. A way to auto reduce the polly count in a OBJ sequence.

Question.. I saved my MM sequence animation, then closed C4D.. I then opened it again, but the model is black.. How do I get to see the textured model..??

Regards

Tesselaar..

Posted: 11 September 2020 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Joined  2020-07-17

Its OK regarding the missing texture.. I found that by default S22 opens the file. I need to change the default option..

Thank you

Tesselaar..

Posted: 12 September 2020 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tesselaar,

Nice that it works and that you got even the texture to load in the way you need it.

I can’t say anything about the SLC team or their decisions, of course.
I would suggest asking for the Alembic option, rather than the OBJ, but that’s just me.
One side-effect of those sequences is that you have no motion blur, but for VR, that is typically not wanted, as the viewer moves by itself, and so higher fps is the key from the start.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 September 2020 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Joined  2020-07-17

smile

Posted: 12 September 2020 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Enjoy.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 September 2020 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Joined  2020-07-17

Hi..

I am wondering if the FBX created by the obj sequence can be expanded into an animation using other software.. When I place the multi object FBX into SLC, I see all the objects as a clump. When I open the file using the FBX Reader, only one frame shows. When I import it into Maya, I get warnings, and I can only see one frame.. Is there a way to view the entire animation.. I can also import the FBX into Poser, but again only one frame shows..

Posted: 13 September 2020 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tesselaar,

I’m not sure how much things can be animated in SLC, but if you get all the OBJs in, how about animating their position/scale or visibility? While only one of these is visible per frame. Or all hide in one object and become moved out for a single frame. Same with visibility.

Anyway, that is a question for the SLC forum, nothing that has a place here, …just providing some average ideas. Don’t wait for them, get creative!
(It is not the place here either to say things about SLC here. I lost 100% interest looking into that app, based on your reports. No idea why you keep going, based on your words.) Think about what your put into public spaces, thanks.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

2 of 2