A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

creating wetmap with vertex map fields
Posted: 02 August 2020 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-04-06

Hi,

I have been trying to create a wetmap using vertex map fields without much luck and am wondering if that is possible.  I did watch a quick tip by Jonas Pilz, but he simply tied a linear field to a rising and falling ocean.  I have a scene with a river with ripples and some sandbars protruding where I want a wetmap at the dynamic intersections, hopefully getting some dynamic circles.  It’s a Redshift scene, so I am fine with the texturing once I get the wetmap working.

I have created a very simplified example attached, and my last try with the vertex map on the riverbed.  I set the riverbed texture to just show the wetmap when rendered, which you will see is static and seems to ignore the animated noise displacement of the river.

Thanks for any help, even to say this is not possible (I can do it with X-particles with a fluid sim, but this would be much easier and less taxing for a heavy scene if it is possible). Not being an ace at fields yet, details such as point or surface, blending modes, remap or not, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

File Attachments
vertext fields for wetmap.zip  (File Size: 360KB - Downloads: 175)

Posted: 02 August 2020 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jeff,

Please have a look at the file below:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kAqr2ust3VVouph8CIXrd87eXK8euKnMzhr7PDQyT4H

I added or changed the following:
• The “river” plane needed some volume, the Cloth Object can deliver that. I had to adjust the P.Y of the riverbed, as the river is now higher.
• The new Volume was added and set to Max. (Max and Add are not the same). Mode: Volume
• This Volume was remapped, you might have other ideas about it
• The point density seems a little bit low for the riverbed, more points were added.
• Freeze is set to Auto Update and Average, to smooth the effect, as water moves and changes
• Decay was set to a lower value, to see how the water moves downwards
• BTW, I reduced the size of the model, as it is a demo, that size shows all.

You might add a mask to areas at a certain distance to avoid spills.

I hope that helps, and what I haven’t mentioned is hopefully in the file.
If there is any other question, please let me know, I’m happy to look into it.

Have a great Sunday.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 August 2020 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-04-06

Dear Dr. Sassi,

That was fantastic, just what I was hoping for—I can play a little with the parameters once I create the Redshift material, but it looks great just as is.  Yeah, I could not figure out why the solids I tried worked, but not the two planes intersecting, so now I know.  Yes, my real scene has some very heavy subdivisions of both river and river bed—just wanted to post something light.

I hope this excellent response helps others as well…there is really very little out there except for the example Jonas made, so perhaps Maxon would consider making this solution a Quicktip too.

All the best this Sunday,
Jeff

Posted: 02 August 2020 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Jeff, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I always hope that every single question will help others as well. Hence why I write maybe a little bit more detailed than the one who asks requires it.

During NAB/NYC, someone told me that he uses this forum like Wikipedia. I hope it works this way, so your thoughts are appreciated.

So, thanks for your question!

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Smoke out of pipe      Rotate Tool View ››