A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Hair vertex maps
Posted: 30 July 2020 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2020-07-30

Hey all, I’m working to fine tune my hair dynamics.
I have a Chester Cheetah character and I want the dynamics to only effect certain areas.
When dynamics are applied to the shorter, snout fur, it’s looking busy and odd.

What I’ve done… I created a hair vertex map using the comb on the guides and applied that map to drag, rest hold, etc.
But I can’t get the snout fur to stay completely still. Any suggestions?

Posted: 30 July 2020 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Lincoln,

Images can’t tell me a lot. I need a scene file.
I understand that you might not like to share this file in public. If that is correct, I can provide an upload link.

However, even if I really think that guessing is not professional, here we go:
In Hair> Dynamics> Have you set the Dynamics to Riged? Does it help?
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/IqMsz22lGivT176C6CzyXfSxVCGWxiFRAeHFXf6TNrJ
Values are extreme to show the effect.
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/hair_overview_the_hair_object_part_17

All the best

(Edit: With not professional, I mean that dumping many questions and guesses into the forum would be unprofessional from my side. I find platforms with that kind of stuff in it super hard to read, challenging to follow, and wasting everyone’s time. Instead, I offer to look at the file, and when I get a reproducible solution, I post the answer and perhaps some alternatives. Besides, I started a few years ago to make 60-second clips, “running” through a setup, to visualize the setup. (Nearly 1300 clips by now.) It seems to work. Otherwise, the communication might be extended. Sorry, it was never meant to characterize nor evaluate the question or the one who asks itself. Not at all! Really sorry. Well, now I took a lot of time. I hope it is OK./edit)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 31 July 2020 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2020-07-30

Dr. Sassi,
It looks like that tutorial you linked is going to do the trick. I just got onto Cineversity yesterday and this is the tutorial I’ve been looking for. I did have the rigidity on but the secret seems to have been in just putting the vertex map on the rest hold. As soon as I finish with this current job that is rendering, I will retry. Thank you very much for the help and direction!
-Lincoln

Posted: 31 July 2020 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds great. Please keep in mind that the dynamic state you like is best set as
Main Menu> Simulate> Hair Edit> Set Initial State.

This will be the point where the Rigid might come in handy.

The Rest Hold is this using this initial state.

The Vertex maps will work as a factor, and the settings done above (Properties) the Vertex fields will be defined (per guide) by those Vertex values.

The Spline interface below those fields gives even more options (Modifiers), but as the numbers above, they work globally on that hair Object.

I think Patrick pointed to all these areas, but I wanted to make sure that the connection among all elements is clear. (Since I write in a forum, I have to overshare a little bit. I hope you don’t mind.

ENJOY.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Dynamic cog wheel      Smoke out of pipe ››