A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bevel deformer edge rendering
Posted: 16 July 2020 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello
I’m a bit confused by something going with the Bevel deformer.  When I manipulate it in high negative or positive values in Point mode, I can see the viewport updating with patterns I’d like to replicate in a render.
If I use Cel renderer I get very different results, same thing with Redshift in Wireframe mode, or with S&T.
Why is it so different in the viewport and render engines?

Viewport
Render

Thanks!

Posted: 16 July 2020 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

I need to see the project file. I have sent you an upload link, in case it needs to stay private.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 July 2020 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Thanks Sassi, file uploaded.

Posted: 16 July 2020 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot for the file, Alex, this confirms my suspicion.

Think about folding a paper, while each fold creates a line. Many of these lines will be obscured by the paper. Similar to that is what happens in the file.
The images didn’t have any information if it was flat or not. So, guessing would have been the only way…

Since you are interested in a graphical representation of the edges, I would suggest the following:

Select the object with the Bevel, then Object Manager> Current State to Object.
Hide anything in the Viewport, except the new object.
Select all edge of the new object and use Mesh> Conversions> Edge To Spline.
Hide the Polygon Object.

Please note for the following that Cell Rendering, Toon Rendering, hair, etc., might exclude each other. Chose one per render session for your tests.

I checked with a Hair Material and Sketch ‘n’ Toons (Spline Mode). The Cell needs to have Polygons, Sweep would be a way to get those. Alternative: With Cell as render, Simulate> Hair Edit> Convert From Spline, then Hair> Generate> Square (The size depends on the Thickness in the Hair material. Transparency: ON)

Let me know if there are any other questions about this, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

P.S.: Project files links are in the CV Private Messages.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 July 2020 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Ah yes, that does work…However the problem is that I loose the ability to animate the bevel offset…But I think that’s ok for my purpose as I might not need that crazy amount of lines and geometry.

Thanks for looking into it Sassi!

Posted: 16 July 2020 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

OK, it needs to be animated.

Alex, check your PM, I have sent you a new file.

I tried to keep the workload low, based on turning it into Splines. With Animation, this is not really an option (I Check Pose Morph to keep it simple, but no luck.)

The File I have sent uses the Atom Array to show only the Edges, and the Polygon-surface is excluded from it. A similar effect could be done with MoGraph, but the Atom Array is easy to set up. The MG option would eliminate the Spheres to be generated, perhaps a speed advantage. I will send this soon as well.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: