A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Mulitpass issues?
Posted: 30 June 2020 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2020-01-07

When I render out multipasses for c4d, I bring it up into AE, and the main image seems fine. When I select a diffuse render, the image seems overly saturated dark and contrasty. I think this may be a Linear workflow issue? But why would the normal render seem ok? Does anybody know the flow to resolve this?

This was done with a physical render.

Also, bonus question: There seems to be no pass option to Render straight raw RGB color (without shadows or highlights) Just a raw color pass.

Posted: 01 July 2020 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Pete,

I really would love to get this going for you.

Very little information; This image tells me only that diffuse is not what is giving you the pure color.
Color information, where do you have set up the color? If in the Materials> Color, then the pass is called: Material-Color.

Linear workflow, as I teach it in one minute during hands-on classes when no time is given: Draw a horizontal line, below is anything machine, and it’s linear, above is anything human (screens, etc.) that needs to be gamma, it is for output only (never along the pipeline). In short: Gamma has no place in a professional pipeline, only in the output parts for the human eye.
That is all there is to it.

If you need an upload link, let me know. (If you have Dropbox, Adobe, Apple, Google, Amazon, Wetransfer, great, anything else I do not touch. Also shortened/camouflaged links are a no go for me.)

I have today tested the current versions S22 and Ae 2020, I have no problems.

I hope we can solve this quickly for you!

Cheers

Edited

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 July 2020 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

Great. I’ll upload some assets tomorrow morning. And DM you a link.
Color is always tricky. Especially when learning new software.

Luckily it’s a quick commercial project and not a movie. So perfect time to get the kinks out now.

Thanks again. Will have you sorted in the morning with a link. 

P

Posted: 01 July 2020 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Edit, I was just working on this reply while you posted a new message. /edit

Pete, I don’t like to waste your time with guessing, just to be sure:

Is this your setting in Ae? (See image below). It is the only way (while it is off, orange circle) that I could create the problem.

The Background Image should give the standard image (RGBA Image in the render-settings).

The Material Color the pure RGB colors, I got uncertain what you mean by raw.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 July 2020 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Here is my little test. Perhaps that shows already what needs to be done.

One minute clip (#1001)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Sd4yOAzMMVKCiN0jM7X8RJDR6f9Jv5t1MBiu26tp6LU

Fingers crossed that helps to save some time.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 July 2020 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Pete, for the files.

I have tested any possible combination, in C4D, Ae as well as Fusion. After many hours, I think I can say with certainty that the Multilayer OpenEXR in S22 has a problem.

If you open the file in the picture viewer and set up the blend modes for your file, perhaps as simple as GI+, Spec+, Shadows*, Diffuse [BG]. It will show much differently than Background-RGB.

Given that the Reflection pass is not included, one could think that would do the trick, but it is far away from lifting all the values. So, for now, Multilayer OpenEXR in Ae is a no go.

If I render out the scene as I typically suggest, in 32bit/channel and float, all is fine. I use 32bit/channel/float always, and yes, files are larger, but since I like data channels as well, they are more comfortable in 32b/c/f.

The 32b/c/f, exr: Multilayer as well as single-layer show no problems here. The single layer is working in OpenEXR and 16bit/channel/float as well.

A 32b/channel/float PSD file works fine here. (Not the most efficient, but no other problems.

Single-layer renderings allow for the “aec” file to be written, and those set up the comp all ready for you.)

I have to file a report. Sorry about the 16bit/channel trouble.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 July 2020 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

ah..Damn..I wish I know 22 was busted..been banging my head..and went on with some “cheats” to get it done in time.
All good, thank you so much for the forensic deep dive ( I feel bad you spent hours!) But its appriciated.

OK..will find a work around, or go 21 for now.

Thanks again my friend.

Posted: 01 July 2020 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Pete,

I invest the time to get the clearest answer for you, and if there is something not working, to be at least able to write a report.
Yes, one could put a LUT or a curve (etc.) on top of that and might get away with it. But the key question is, is that sustainable and delivering the best quality?

It works with single passes and the aec file (faster than EXtractoR anyway), as well with 32bit/channel/float. So, just more hard drive space needed for the time being. For a feature film, I would be concerned about HD-space, but for a commercial?

In R21, it is the same. I never notice it, as I don’t use the 16bit/channel/float for that. Sorry, but there are too many options and functions to know it all, all the time. wink I guess that is reasonable to say.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW: