A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to Create a Space Colony: Part 6 - Details, Details
Posted: 27 April 2020 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2020-04-27

Hello,

At around the 14:02 min marker, the instructor speeds up the video to completely unfollowable speeds. There is also no dialogue. Not sure what happened. I’ve been following since the fist video, so this is the first time I’ve seen this. Even when slowed down to .5 speed, it is still not possible. Can you please help?

-Matthew Frazier

Posted: 28 April 2020 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matthew Frazier,

I guess if you dive deeply into modeling, you might want to have it even faster in the not so far future. For now, I can see that the steps in the first parts and the last part of this series, (during sped up) feel kind of disconnected. I’m sorry that you have to experience this.

The shown techniques lead to a beautiful result, but in the end, they are quite standard procedurals, you will get there in no time.

I assume that was the idea of the sped was, to not bore you to sobs. I have replied in the past to artists who liked to have it faster with other materials. No excuse, but it is not easy to find a good sweet-spot.

My wish for this series would have been to categorize the techniques and indicate clearly each with a different background color of the editor’s view, for example. Then in the speed up phase, those colors would give better feedback. This would have also communicated the author’s good rhythm of his modeling approach. Which is clear, quite straight forward and on the point. I wish that repetition would have been communicated as a voice-over during the fast time. I hope you have a better impression already about the author and feel motivated to check again.

What I can do is to point out the three techniques that I spotted, and have them in three little clips for you.

Please memorize the following, Extrude M~T, Extrude Inner M~W (Which means for M~T, you press the m key and directly, with no other action, the t key). Extrude or Extrude inner, will give you with mouse down and drag new geometry for the polygons that are selected.

With M~K (Knife), you can in Polygon mode cut new edges into the mesh. Which allows for a more detailed selection. Then Extrude and Extrude and extrude inner again, as you like.

Besides, if you use the Scale mode, selected polygons can be scaled, whereby the scaled polygons need more space, and so they move.

Last but not least, the Loop selection (U~L) is certainly an important tool here.

The third clip will use just the Atom Array object, here a MoGraph Cloner might provide more options, but that is another story, for a different series. The critical point here is how quickly a scaffold-like construction can be generated. It was the right place here, for sure, to have this demonstrated. All in all, you will hopefully gain a lot, and with my little extra clips, this will allow seeing more in the sped-up part.

Please let me know if there are any other questions, or if I have missed something. I’m happy to look into it.

Project-files, screen-captures:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/b29R9siSGASDjsrGjekBL0lYknbdzasn276p7QLn7RO

Enjoy, stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 May 2020 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2020-04-27

Thank you so much for the prompt response! This is very helpful.

Also, for anyone else following the tutorial, Part 6 has been cut short for some reason and is only 18mins. The full 1 hour 41 min video is here on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvskX1OUiiM&list=PLc3zWLYdU4c_OwMA7qqjZGgRPmPMTuAeu&index=7&t=0s

Posted: 05 May 2020 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Matthew Frazier, thanks for the reply.

I was not aware of that link, it should have been in the text below this specific tutorial. It has a few thousand views, which indicates people want to see it. Thanks for posting it.

Well, and there (post #1), I tried to come up with a diplomatic way to keep the creator of this in a good light, while duplicating your point of view as well. But I stick with it, even a single artist will change the requirement to the very same tutorial over time; If so, it is a sign that it works.

Anyway, I’m glad the examples have helped, and you have as well as both versions of the tutorial.

If there are related questions, please ask here, if there is any other question about modeling, let me know in the Q&A forum, I’m happy to look into it.

My best wishes!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]