A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Boston Terrier Illustration: Using Polygon Pen to Add Modeling Detail
Posted: 23 April 2020 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2020-04-14

Hello, I’m new to C4D.  I have been following this tut and have a question about the part where you converted the subdivision surface to the cube.  Can you tell me how you did that?  I tried typing “C” while the SS was highlighted in the Object Panel.  It looked like it applied it to the cube.  Next in the tutorial, you deleted the SS from the stack which left just the cube.  When I deleted the SS, everything disappeared.  What am I not doing or doing wrong please?
Thank you.

Posted: 23 April 2020 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi zonkerzebra,

Are you referring to this tutorial:
Boston Terrier Illustration: Using Polygon Pen to Add Modeling Detail
At 06:00 to 06:10 [min:sec]?
Please use the Help Button while you are viewing the tutorial you have a question about. Otherwise, it will create some chaos, and the forum will render difficult to use for this question.

He selected the Subdivision Surface SDS, pressed the C key, which turned the SDS into a Null. The resulting subdivision is then incorporated into the cubes mesh.

Please open a fresh new scene and check it out, perhaps something was not OK with the project file.

Please have a look at how it works in S22, I made a screen-capture for you:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/d20t7Up635bArDyqBGtaZdX1v0m5Iu1E1FWdJ9FdaJE

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers, stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 April 2020 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-04-14

Yes, I did hit the “Help” button in the tutorial, and it took me to a page that said “Error.  You don’t have authorization etc. etc.”  even though I was signed in.

Thank you for your help.

Posted: 23 April 2020 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, zonkerzebra, I see that it was not intentional. Sorry about my question then.

Was the screen capture useful and solved your problem? Is it working for you now?

Was that the clip where you had that problem? So I can at least change the headline.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 April 2020 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-04-14

Yes it helped.  I wasn’t aware that after converting the SDS, I could move the cube up in the stack to make it no longer a child of it, then remove the SDS. I’m coming from Blender so this process is very mysterious to me.
Yes, that’s the clip.
Thanks again.

Posted: 23 April 2020 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, zonkerzebra, thanks for the reply.

You might check out the Object Manager> Object> Current State To Object.

https://help.maxon.net/r21/us/index.html#5667

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 April 2020 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2020-04-14

Will do. Thanks!

Posted: 24 April 2020 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, zonkerzebra!

My typical advice is to stay open-minded with a new application. Searching for the exact same tool, procedure, or function might keep you away from a more native workflow. Please ask what you are looking for from the object-related point of view, versus the tool-related search. I hope I make sense here. But anyway, feel free to ask away, regardless!

To come from one application, where you might have felt comfortable, to a new environment, always feels claustrophobic. I hope I can help to overcome this. I have learned over the past (nearly) three decades over 200 apps, often to keep the starter feeling fresh, which allows me to take a particular perspective here: I hope you can benefit from it.

Enjoy, stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 April 2020 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2020-04-14

Thank you for your encouraging words.  Although I haven’t your experience, I have tried a few apps over time, including 3D Coat and ZBrush.  Each one of those presents their own challenges as you must know.  Rather than look for exact replicas of processes, I do look for similarities, common threads.  It’s interesting to see how each app compares.

I’m afraid I didn’t understand what you were saying about object-related vs. tool-related.  Could you explain please?

I don’t have any professional 3D training, I just love it and do for pleasure.  I came to Cinema 4D because it seems to be the most used app of artists whose work I enjoy.  I love mostly Cartoony Characters, bright colors and clean lines.  I’m very impressed by Cinema 4D’s graphics.  I hope I can learn enough so that I can do my characters.  I don’t lean toward animation.

Stay safe and healthy yourself.

Missy (zonkerzebra)

Posted: 24 April 2020 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Missy (zonkerzebra),

Tool vs. Object. With tools, I had in mind the following. If the application A has a tool that does this and that, and an artist is used to it, then often the question comes up, where is this (!) tool in Application B? A tool question.
This leads to a search to come close to the tool one has described. Which often might be a combination of many tools or even a complex workflow, to get something similar.

If the question would have been, I want to do the following to my object, this is what I have (start point, not half the way already), and I want to change the following. This would be a question around the target, or the object itself. Then the answer is (hopefully) not a whole workflow, it might be a single tool that is even better than the one used before elsewhere.

I tend to answer often several times. I do not believe that there is only one way or the “right” way to do it. Besides, we all have our own ideas about how things work best for us. To have at least three ways to do something is certainly a better feeling than to have only one that fits most of the time.

In one of my first hand on classes, 15 years ago, I asked people to create a sphere in as many ways they can think of. It is a simple game to get people used to think “out of the box”.

Having said all of that, I hope we will find what you need, to have your ideas as a central part of your work, and not the focus on anything else.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 April 2020 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2020-04-14

I see.  Good point.
I appreciate your input.

Take care.
Missy

Posted: 27 April 2020 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again, Missy (zonkerzebra).
Take care as well, and have a great start into your week.

Signature 

NEW: