A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to Force Realtime Playback in the Viewport
Posted: 20 February 2020 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-04-28

The dinosaur looks amazing in the viewport! I’d like to know what settings you used. Is it possible to download the file?
Also, has the viewport greatly improved in r21? I still have r20 and can’t get seem to get this kind of render in the viewport.

Thanks

Posted: 20 February 2020 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi MHdesign,

The tip is about switching from All Frames to what can be shown while keeping the target speed.
Which means, it skips frames until it catches up. If there was an improvement that would go with your computer set up, then it will show perhaps a few more frames, but the speed it is aiming for should be the same.

Please have a look for more information here: (Especially since he showcases R20, which you use currently, as you mentioned)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hygxE0XTs4o

You might know the app Cinebench, which allows you to compare (if people have published/shared their results).
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

Again: Not to avoid answering your question, but each system is kind of different. I can’t tell you if there was something that affected your speed, of course.
What I can tell from my experience in 3D over the decades, the more power people have in their set-up, the more they expect from it. More often than not, the concerns of optimization are less given based on this. Features and speed seem to hold a balance since ever. More speed, more functionality, similar timing, (let me say it once more, that would be a general statement and is as such of low value.)

Günther Nikodim is providing here some useful pointers to optimize. Of course, the more they are considered from the start, the more responsive a system will stay during your work. There are too many parts in the game to even remotely write anything in general, and I certainly will not go there.

So far, I could not find any mentioning that the model is available, neither for free nor to get a license.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 February 2020 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-04-28

Thank you for you quick response! Your evaluation and opinion of C4D rendering was very helpful. I will definitely take a look at Günter Nikodim’s video regarding Pro Render. Perhaps I should give Pro Render another try!

I understand it was probably too general a question to be answered since system setups are vary so much. I’ll also look into the Cinebench app as well. However, specifically I was inquiring about how beautiful the render was in the viewport. I’ve been using Hardware Open GL renders on occasion for the speed with sometime good results. Unfortunately, I’ve experienced some limitations such as the inability to display both transparency and reflections at the same time. I thought that r21 may have solved this issue in the viewport and perhaps even increased the quality in other areas. Since I use an older mac I sometimes need a faster render option, in lieu of an equivalent to Eevee built into C4D, it somewhat fulfills my needs.

Posted: 21 February 2020 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi MHdesign,

I understand, and I certainly have not the newest Mac here as well. I started doing 3D nearly three decades ago. My best Mac back then had 80Mhz. (Not GHz). In those times, the number of polygons and texture size was SUPER critical. I guess that is something that is in my muscle memory, even today. What takes a second today to render, was hours back then. Not to slide into old stories, but I guess anyone not happy with today’s options, should work for a week on such an old machine, to get super conscious about efficiency.

Yes, ProRender is a step into real-time. I wait as many people on the Metal version of RedShift. I guess that might be the answer you are looking for in the long run. Since RedShift is a Maxon owned company, expect a good integration even many years ahead.

However, if you think you miss something, or a part of the application is not working as it should perhaps check with the support. I do not have, as mentioned, a wide variety of hardware here. The support is better suited for this.
https://www.maxon.net/en/support-center

This forum is for the question regarding the content of the tutorials. To keep it organized, please ask further questions in the Q&A forum. Please always with a scene file, reduced to the problem, no 3rd party content in it. Thanks!
I can provide an upload link for larger files. (I use only: Dropbox, Amazon, Google, Adobe, or Apple cloud services, for security reasons.)

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 February 2020 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2017-09-24

Having the same problem here.
I want to FORCE it for real-time playback. Don’t play every frame. Drop the frames if necessary.
I’m not simulating but rather syncing a scene to my animatic with audio.

And having C4D playing every frame rather than forcing a real-time playback makes the audio stutter. For instance if the project is 24 fps but the scene is running in 18 fps. It stutters.

In Maya, there is this handy option, 24 fps x 1 is equivalent to realtime in a 24 fps project.
c4d219_play_real_time_not_every_frame.jpg?dl=0

Is there a C4D equivalent?

Signature 

C4D Body Mechanics Rigs (Gumroad)  //    Website

Posted: 23 February 2020 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Ben,

The idea presented in the clip is to jump over any frame that the given system is not able to handle. So, if the hardware is not on par with the demand of the project, Cinema4D ignores the frame needed until the given hardware can provide again.

The main idea should be to get the scene as simple as possible for time critical tasks, and switch anything off that is not needed for, e.g., sound syncing. SDS would be one of those parts. This is an artist’s call. Any system can be stressed by leaving too many demands active. This is all there is for this tutorial and the theme of this thread. Perhaps try a mono version with a low sample rate for the audio. Check if compressed or uncompressed is working better with your audio-card.

“24*1” is what this tip is discussing.

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 27 February 2020 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2017-09-24

Hi Dr. Sassi,

Took me a while to figure out this phrase “switching from All Frames” since no reference has been made where to find it.

Anyhow, I think this is what you mean
c4d221_real_time_playback.jpg?dl=0

At least it works as I my use case. No further action required.

Signature 

C4D Body Mechanics Rigs (Gumroad)  //    Website

Posted: 27 February 2020 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I can’t see the image, Ben, but if it works for you, perfect.

https://help.maxon.net/us/index.html#10643

All the best

Signature 

NEW: