A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

R20 Problem with Weight Painting?
Posted: 06 February 2020 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2019-05-30

I am painting weights for a character’s bind and it seems anytime I paint to adjust weights, it automatically creates unnormalized weights (even though Normalize Weights is checked in both the Weight tool and Weight Manager). Working with Add 5% weight and just adds the weight to all the existing weights bringing the total to 105%, rather than removing 5 from the other joint.

The only way to see the result is to lock the joint you just painted, and Normalize. You can’t see how you affected the mesh while you are painting.

I just opened the same scene in R19, did the same painting and it worked perfectly.

Has something changed in R20, or is there a bug? I am teaching a Rigging class and it is very frustrating not having this working as it should be.

Posted: 06 February 2020 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi dfp123,

I can’t reproduce it here.

In R20, can you copy the complete content, and in a fresh new project file, paste all of it. Will the result be the same?

Can you share an example project file, just a few joints a simple object where you got the 105%? Save it without changing anything? (Zip it and attach it here.)

Here is a file that you can use:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/UrkdMfUzxBeZvU03T99y8xAq9VRnkPK9djuoMG8zcSl

If you use any cloud/download options, I touch only DropBox, Amazon, Apple, Adobe, and Google. Anything else: Not at all.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 February 2020 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2019-05-30

Wow so strange. I did try copying the character into a new scene and everything worked as it should.

Is there a reason why that helps? I tried with two different scenes - both created in an earlier version of c4d and both had the anomalies.

After that worked, I tried Merging the offending scene into a new scene, and once again, everything is working as it should.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Not entirely sure what happened but glad I could fix it.

Posted: 06 February 2020 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi dfp123,

I think I have such a case here in Cineversity every 2-3 months. It is not often, but it feels like something corrupted the file. In other words, it is scarce. Since I don’t like to guess, I will leave it alone, as I’m not good at reading compressed scene file descriptions. wink

Anyway, I’m glad it can be solved, and perhaps useful to know when one of your students will produce a “result” like this.

My best wishes for your class.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]