A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Weight Manager Auto Weight Not Working
Posted: 29 December 2019 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2012-05-01

Hello,
I was using the Weight Manager’s Auto Weight feature with point selection selection successfully today. I think I may have accidentally changed a setting, because now I cannot get it to work. My process is:

1. Add my joints to my Weight Tag to my model
2. Add my Skin Deformer as a child to my model
3. If I only want it on a section of the model, I will select points and check “Selected Points” under Basic Parameters
4. Click Auto-Weight’s “Calculate” button

This does match up with the instruction in the Help documentation. These are my settings: https://imgur.com/a/LnOndIh

Nothing happens anymore. No weights are added even though the joints are inside of the geometry and I try different Modes (Heatmap, Distance, and Volumetric). Perhaps it is my workflow, but if it is my parameters, the Weight Manager does not have the “Reset to Default” option.

I have attached a scene file.

Could you please tell me what has gone wrong? Thank you.

File Attachments
Autoweight.zip  (File Size: 99KB - Downloads: 153)

Posted: 29 December 2019 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2012-05-01

Hello, I thought I had tried everything but I have found a solution. My issue was the Basic Parameter “Allow Null Length” was unchecked. I had bones at the end of joint chains that had no bone length because they had no child bones. With the “Allow Null Length” parameter checked, Auto Weight worked as expected again. Thanks for reading!

Posted: 29 December 2019 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi blastframe,

Thanks for updating your own question.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ gradient effect      Animating clones ››