A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

how to randomize texture on clones
Posted: 05 December 2019 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-12-05

Hi guys,

I´m having a problem,

I am creating a wooden shingle roof, which is created of one shingle row of cubes and cloned them with a cloner.

for texturing im using a jpg with multiple wooden boards in a row on it, so when i put my texture on my Clone object, i get the mapping of the whole jpg distributed on all copies, and when i put it on the child beneath the cloner, every copied shingle gets the same texture as the child.

But i want every single shingle to have a random part of my jpg with wood on it, so that it looks realistic and that every shingle has its own mapping.

how can i randomize my texture on a cloner, so that every shingle has a unique texture mapping?

when i have smaller parts, i usually convert my cloner and manually adjust the mapping on every single object created, but it would take me pretty long on that or even bigger clones to do it like this.

does anybody know a proper solution on that?

i attached the file plus the image if it helps

thanks, Mike

File Attachments
Shingle_roof.zip  (File Size: 1727KB - Downloads: 177)

Posted: 05 December 2019 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi planung,

There are several ways to do it. Please have a look at the two examples below:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/F3jfZw7nWLiJdpVkTUw7zwT0aJbQqETeoicttRAkbCO

Your set up limits the use to a certain degree, as it sets six shingles as one unit. This needs then the variation shader, for example. [file …_11.c4d]
A perfect tutorial for your needs is here:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/new_in_release_17_quickstart_variation_shader_for_random_colors

The way MoGraph handles these things typically is based either on ID or Brightness values. Whereby the Brightness value (random) is undoubtedly the preferred method. I used here the Multi-Shader, which allows for an excellent distribution of many different images. (I used color here to make the point.) [file …_01.c4d]

Let me know if there is any question to this, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 December 2019 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-12-05

Hi Dr. Sassi,

first of all, thanks for the quick reply,

For my needs the Mograph multishader worked out better.
I made myself several different wood textures of a single shingle and loaded them into the multishader.

It took me some time to realize that actually the random effector is responsible for the variation of textures (setting colour mode of the effector to “effect-colour”), so im wondering, is there any way to manually adjust the distribution of the randomnes a bit.

In fact the result is pretty much want i wanted, but the texture on top of the multishader seems to get copied more often then the ones above, and how to avoid that the same texture is copied to the direct neighbor shingle?
Can this be avoided only with more different subtextures in the multishader?

One more thing i have in mind; is it somehow possible to random out the offset of the texture? If this would work, I could for example generate 4 different wood structures out of one texture (as seen in the picture attached)

thanks again,

Mike

Posted: 06 December 2019 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mike,

You’re very welcome.

Yes, while the Multi Shader is set to brightness, the Cloner Brightness value (color or gray)  is used to decide which layer is distributed. Try the Min/Max setting of the Effector (Effector Tab). Besides, I like to set the Cloner> Parameter> Color set to black, so there is no interference.
You could also use any image, and then the Shader Effector with that image. The value is then provided from the image and can be adjusted in Photoshop or BodyPaint3D.

To recreate the Variation Shader, you could just set the UV of your shingle while having a few with different UV setups. Those go into the first Cloner and produce here only one shingle. Important here that the setting is: Blend.
Then another Cloner is responsible for distributing the single Cloner-Clone, and the Blend-trigger receives a different value based on its position, hence move the texture.

I have used here (screen capture) a Honeycomb Array, as otherwise, the roof wouldn’t be watertight. You might change that, of course, to your liking.
Screen-Capture and Example File
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/2uLRv9xCo3rGn1wV6vnuDuvamJfFHRPvy9O8cfMv1jg
Replace the 0512.jpg texture with your would texture.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]