A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Export motion clips to fbx
Posted: 20 November 2019 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-06-21

Hi!

I’m pulling my hair here! A client provided several fbx-files with animation on a rig (joint chain), and one file with the rig skinned to geometry. I made motion clips from all animation files so I can use the animations on the skinned rig.  After making a nice combination of motion I need to export the model as an fbx for later use in unity.

The problem is that only small parts of the animation is coming through in the exported file. Almost none of the joints store any animation. I tried baking the motion clip layer before export but still the same faulty results. What am I missing..?

I’m sorry I can’t provide a scene file because it’s confidential material :/ 

I would really appreciate some help!
Thanks!

Posted: 20 November 2019 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Emma HiQ,

I could provide you with an upload link, and keep the file private. Would that work for you?

My answer will be then without showing any parts of it.

All the best

P.S.: Since I have no file here, perhaps test your file with an Alembic export, then import it in a new Project-File. If that works, export this scene as FBX. Just a thought.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 November 2019 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Since I had no file, I went with this set up one time trough the process.

One minute Screen capture (can be downloaded)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/InoiUgUERCVz36MRlLSnUDqqSgEYthH7bM7w7zLXUbS

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 November 2019 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-06-21

Dr Sassi.
You saved my ass!

I saw your reply late last night about sharing scene file privately and was contemplating with myself about it. Since the client is a well-known toymaker (you know, danish, makes plastic bricks..) I didn’t dare to share it, with the risk of it spreading and me getting flushed.

Your demo Dr, showed me the small and yet so important detail that I completely overlooked and hence spent hours trying to debug. I simply never converted my motion clip to keyframes but instead pressed the bake-button.

Now I can keep my job wink
THANK YOU!

Posted: 21 November 2019 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Emma HiQ, thanks for the fantastic feedback.

Yes, I certainly understand your concerns, as cloud companies get hacked, and the intellectual property gets spread. Hence, why I use only the main cloud services available.

When I create an upload link, I sent this link per Private Messages to the artist. When uploaded, I save it on my external disc for the time being. BUT: I delete it from the cloud instantly. I know it takes a while to vanish from the cloud really, so – yes again, I understand.

In the case of the Animation System, it cares only about the hierarchy, so any objects of this hierarchy could be replaced by cubes or joints to keep it safer.

If that isn’t enough security, I encourage the artist to create a small demo Project file that reproduces the problem. So far, I can tell, this has often lead to an understanding of the problem already.

Anyway, I’m happy it works for you.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

NEW: