A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Putting the brakes on dynamics.
Posted: 06 November 2019 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-05-22

Hi I’m building a scene, a flurry of papers fly out of a monitor and land in someones hands, all neat and tidy. So using a spine effector, random, and then dynamics. Everything works except the dynamics keep on going and going. Tried all the damping parameters, and not having any luck. Any ideas? C4D file should be attached. Thanks, Jon

File Attachments
TM API Inserts-02-paper-2forC4D.zip  (File Size: 87KB - Downloads: 181)

Posted: 06 November 2019 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon,

Please have a look here. I assumed frame 150 as the final resting point.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/RwtmMMPskFt6WmYKPgN1rWX5W7joif19DaV8aW1qQua

I set the Paper plane to Z- and used a Current State To Object to harvest the position at frame 150. (I also used one segment only setting for these.)

Then placed in a Connect object, they work like a position memory, Hence frame 150.

To get the Still (frame 150) and the Dynamic information, I created two Matrix Objects.

One is directly used for a new Cloner and the other one for an Inheritance Effector. This Inheritance Effector influence is animated in the new Cloner around frame 150. A simple blend, and after that, the papers are rock solid, but also free to be moved without any influence of the dynamic.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 November 2019 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks, much. So was thinking of that, but gets complicated. So need to tweak it for the client now. The spline doesn’t move the objects anymore. How are the Matrixs built and why? Also I had some folding of the paper in it, does that disappear now?
Thxs Jon

Posted: 07 November 2019 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Jon,

I cached it; hence, the changes (Spline) will not show.

I can’t see any foldings of any papers. The Soft-Body option is off, where would anything like the folding come from? Please let me know, I’m not sure what I have missed.

The Matrix is used here to get the data. If a Cloner is set up with a Dynamic, the Dynamic takes over. With Matrix introduce after the Dynamics, the information is available again for MoGraph.

You also wrote that you have tried all Damping values. So, I did not suggest anything. Let me do it now, set Dampening for Position and Rotation with a keyframe around frame 150 as is now, then at frame 160 to 123%. It stops right there.
I tried to give you an alternative option with the “Position Memory”, perhaps you give dampening another try.

If tweaking with a client on your side is critical, I suggest animating without dynamics. Furthermore, I would use several PoseMorph animations to have the folding, or bending, ready to go. Dynamics and clients might go well together, given that the time is limited.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 November 2019 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Hey thanks for replying. I’m getting close using the damping, just need to crank it up more. The Matrix seems like a lot of steps to get it to work right, or maybe just me. I’ll carry on with this for a bit. Thanks, again!!

Posted: 07 November 2019 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not say that it was the better way, I suggested something that was not excluded from your initial post. Whatever works best for you is the key, of course.

Dampening sucks the energy out of objects, which in return starts the “ignore object for dynamic” cycle.

Please note that you inject energy with the Follow Position/Rotation into the objects. If not needed anymore, dial it down.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 November 2019 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks, all good. I appreciate your time. I hopefully have something to tomorrow. Thanks!

Posted: 07 November 2019 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Jon, thanks for the reply.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Magnetic waves      Normalized RGB values ››