A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Projection Painting from animated camera perspective?
Posted: 28 November 2018 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-11-07

In R19, I’m trying to 3d projection paint on an object, but from the perspective of an animated camera I’ve set up.  Basically I need to paint the object, advance some frames, paint more, advance, etc. I get everything set up for projection man/3d paint, but as soon as I select the brush tool, the viewport starts switching (fighting) back and forth quickly between my chosen animated camera and (what I think is) the default camera position.

If I use the default camera, 3d painting works fine (but of course, it’s not from the right perspective). Does 3d projection paint only work with the default camera? I couldn’t find any mention of that limitation in my searches. If so, is there a way to force the default camera to track my animated camera?

I’ve attached a sample scene that recreates this.  Switch the viewport between default camera (works) and the camera object while in 3d projection paint.

File Attachments
ProjectionPaintTest.zip  (File Size: 903KB - Downloads: 48)

Posted: 28 November 2018 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi selmo,

Thanks for the file, that was certainly helpful. I got a lot of plug in missing alerts, so I hope that was not part of the question.

Several plugins used in this project are missing.
Saving may cause loss of plugin data!
Plugin ‘Smart Save’ (ID 1024381)
Plugin ‘Tools4D WireShader+’ (ID 1011456)
Plugin ‘Vreel Skin v1.6’ (ID 1016847)
Plugin ‘Shadow Catcher’ (ID 1011535)
Plugin ‘Things On Surface’ (ID 1013018)

The simple answer is, you have a conflict in the animation, and that shows. Delete the Rotation keyframes of your camera and let the Target Tag do its thing without the interference of the Rotation. (Well, you could animate the R.B parameter/value, as that is so far not determined by the Target, but it would if you use an Up-Vector.)

In the moment that conflict is cleared, you should be able to work just fine.

The Projection Man sets up the Camera Projection, based on the “man” for manager. It doesn’t have anything more to do here. For an animation of the camera like in your case, no Projection Man nor Camera mapping should be used. I try to give some insight to that below.

The idea of Camera Projection is simply put, the organization of UV coordinated inside the camera frustum. In other words a 2D representation of the object’s polygons. Well, with some simplifications, that is what happens. In the moment you move the camera (given that this is the projection camera as well) then the UV data will be changed.

You can paint with an animated camera, but that should be then done with a fixed (not camera mapped/projected) UV information, as you have it already in the project.

Let me know if you have any other question, I’m happy to look into it.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 November 2018 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-11-07

Thanks for the quick help! I think I got it now.

Posted: 28 November 2018 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, selmo, nice that it works.

Enjoy your project.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]