A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Eyeball and Eyelid Interaction
Posted: 30 May 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-31

Hi,

I’m trying to set this up on a character in R12, but on the weight tag I cannot see the joints and effectors tabs.  The only tabs I see in the weight tag attribute menu are BASIC and TAG.  When looking at the TAG part of the attribute menu options I only see a box that lists the joints. 

Has the place where you assign effectors been moved in R12?

Thanks,

David

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-05-20

Hi,

I had the same problem. But unfortunately I think my solution only works with R13. Anyway:
There you don’t need the weight effectors. You can use the new joint falloff options directly for the two eye joints. Just set them up like you would setup the weight effectors in the tutorial. And you can control their influence with vertex maps.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-31

Sebastian,

Thanks very much for the reply.  I don’t see how I can get the joint fall-off in R12.  I guess the only other ways I might be able to achieve this is to use a cluster or else manually manipulate a morph pose to track with eye movements.  Might be a little awkward, but I want to have a big close-up of a character’s eyes and I think being able to get something like this effect will be worth it.

If you think of anything else, let me know and thanks again.

D

Posted: 07 November 2018 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-08-12

Hi Sebastian,

I am trying to use this method in R20, however, the program has changed drastically since your tutorial. Could you elaborate on how I would achieve this effect with the current tools available in R20? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Joe

Posted: 07 November 2018 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Joe,

This tutorial was created by Bret Bays, not by Sebastian.

Since the idea was mentioned with the Falloff, things have changed even more. Today with R20 the Falloff is now defined by Fields, and allows for so much more.
Here is my idea of how it could work in R20:
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/VDB3RxnOFUmF7d91hubA8VEaYf4Ay2iPVUPHQcFPgqQ
I do not have tested it with a complete Joint/Weight set up!

Perhaps there are other options, so:

My suggestion, go to the Tutorials Suggestion Forum and describe what you need as well as what benefit this would have for Character Animation.
https://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewforum/96/

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 November 2018 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-08-12

Thank you for the speedy reply Dr. Sassi! I highly appreciate your help and all of your wonderful tutorials.

I have reviewed the scene you provided and I understand the overall concept. However when I recreate the technique on my character, the vertex maps are not adding any joint weight to the eye areas.

Everything is setup identically to your example, I made sure to set the eye joint falloff to the vertex map and the vertex maps are set to use the spherical fields as falloff which sit slightly in front of the eye.

I can see the spherical fields adding vertex weight to each vertex map. The problem seems to be that no joint weight is being added to the body mesh from the eye joints. When I select the weight tag on the body mesh, it remains black. In your example I can see the joint colors for each eye coming from the corresponding vertex maps. Am I missing a step to get the weight to be read by the mesh?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Joe

Posted: 07 November 2018 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Joe,

You’re very welcome! Thanks!

If you have joints and all of that set up, you know that as long as the joints stay exactly where they were before, nothing will move/change, nor should. So, move the joints just a little bit forward. IF the falloff isn’t in that area, the points of the face, especially the eye-lids will have no change. In the moment the Spherical fields move, the influence will show up.

I should have mentioned it, but the joints were so off axis, anyway, my fault, sorry about that.

This is the first time I have used the new Fields with joints. Hence why I wrote, “Here is my idea of how it could work in R20”, to put it as an individual point of view.

Let me know if that works for you. If so, I will make a note in the post above, so others have the advantage, based on your follow up.

Cheers

P.S.: Here is a file, where I feel much more comfortable, than to mix it with the Skin-Deformer. Please note, that I have set the values too high (2cm might look more natural, but for the demo…) and secondly, the Displacer should sit below the Skin deformer, if that is the targeted set up. All in all this feels much lighter/simpler in terms of set up.
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Pv7Pss270f3hx28so9poJk17BRbY4nNWf6LpB3RltNE
With a little bit more “restriction”
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/uCjckWcop8mZMvsJv5YsLidMpK8rYc5PrQMYpuc7l8v

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 November 2018 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2014-08-12

The one thing I missed was moving the joints slightly forward. I completely understand why that is necessary after giving it some thought and seeing your response.

The second file you posted using the Displacer object is much more straight forward and probably easier for most users to grasp.

I highly appreciate your time and thank you for all the help, my rig is now functioning as expected.

Joe

Posted: 08 November 2018 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Joe, and thanks for the “bump” of this thread, it was about time.

Thanks as well for the nice feedback, I’m certainly passioned about solving problems.

Great that your project is working!

Have a great day.

Signature 

NEW: