A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

TP MatterWaves not working with my model
Posted: 23 March 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-07-25

Hello Im trying to this effect http://vimeo.com/6480363  and I managed this technique but for some reason I cant apply this to my model. Im not sure why this is not working.. I tried using other polygons and it seams to work but once I apply my model it does not work.. Any ideas why this is not working? 

Thanks in advance
Marco

File Attachments
MatterWaves.c4d.zip  (File Size: 79KB - Downloads: 193)

Posted: 23 March 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marco,

Please attach the file stripped to the problem. Thanks. Edit, thanks, got the file, now I see the file in the first post as well…/edit

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 March 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2006-07-25

Here is the file stripped

File Attachments
MatterWavesStripped.zip  (File Size: 27KB - Downloads: 192)

Posted: 23 March 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marco,

I did not saw (notice?) the file in the first post, so my request of a stripped file could be misleading, I’m not that picky! I have no idea why it showed up later. Sorry about the extra work.

However, I opened both to see what happened and maybe just based on curiosity.

The Matterwave needs an UV tag that fits it’s geometry, as it is a texture driven “particle emitter” it needs that information.

Just apply a material and then Object Manager>Tags> Generate UVW.

It should work then as the others.

Good luck with the project, I always liked Justin’s for, great ideas.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 March 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2006-07-25

Wow Sassi.. thank you that was the trick..
I have another problem that I cant seem to get.. I have this model and its bind to animating bones. Im trying to manually select each body part and add a matrix to it. A example would be the right arm. I thought I can to do that by just setting a selection tag to the right arm but that didnt work so I added a connect object and I was able to get the matrix to look at my model and also move but I cant separate the parts.. The only other way I can get it to work is to unbind it and separating each body part and setting a matrix to each part. Im curious if you may know a way or why doesnt my selection tag work with the matrix..

File Attachments
Matrix_JMR.c4d.zip  (File Size: 161KB - Downloads: 209)

Posted: 24 March 2012 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Marco,

To be honest, I’m not clear if I get your problem. I can drag the figure object into the Matrix directly and each selection, L or R, works just fine. If i try to interpret your description loosely, separate and move could mean as well you like to explode (r12 term) the parts as separate.

For what is the Matrix, that would help to understand the case more.

Let me suggest the following as option:

With the joint set up you can drive two objects or as many as you like. Use one for the Character-animation and one as base for the MoGraph solution. In that way you should have complete flexibility.

Another way would be to use the MoGraph Selection instead of the Polygon Selection.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 March 2012 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2006-07-25

OK so what im trying to do is to use the matrix and set it to volume and then apply a tracer to it but I noticed that with tracer set to the whole figure lines start to cross and overlap like the image i uploaded. So what i want to do is have a matrix set to each part like the arm only then have a tracer only connecting the arm then go on to every other body part.. I could not get the mograph selection to work or maybe I dont understand how to use that.. After I also wanted to have trails set to certain body parts like the arm thats another reason why i wanted to separate them.

Posted: 25 March 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Unfortunately what you are trying to achieve will not work.
The tracer connects the objects according to their sequence, since the objects get randomly scattered throughout the volume the links are also “random”

Perhaps you can draw a continuous spline that represents your figure.
Then bind that spline to some joints.
Then apply your clones to the spline (this way you can control the order)
Then use the tracer. (since you control the main order with your spline.)
To get some extra randomness just add in a random effector.

Posted: 25 March 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marco,

Your request reminds me on a clip that I did for a presentation here in Hollywood at the Digital Media Artists L.A. (DMALA), I called it “Mocca Meets MoGraph”.
To get both worlds closer together, it was an one hour presentation with lots of examples. In the attached clip you can see the motion-captured figure and the result with the letters then on the right side. I used a motion clip library that I bought around ten+ years ago, LifeFroms from Credo.

See the attached clip. (© video and music: sassmannshausen phd 2008)
http://www.dmala.org/summaries/2008_03.html
The idea was here to use the joints to give the needed motion.

In your idea you go from the skeleton to the “Bind” skin and then to matrix, from there to the Tracer. A long way to utilize the information from the Joints, isn’t it.
You can try to make objects (or oven Nulls) a child of the each joint that represents exactly the motion that you are after.
If you use Nulls, drag them into the field of the Tracer. If you use just polygons, drag the points of these.

Good luck

Sassi

File Attachments
DMALA2008web.mov.zip  (File Size: 1804KB - Downloads: 204)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 26 March 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2006-07-25

Hey guys thank you for your help. I managed to get somewhat of a good result with your comments.. I ended up breaking up my body and attaching them to each bone. I also created a spline and bind it to my bones also..

File Attachments
TracerBody_JMR2.c4d.zip  (File Size: 220KB - Downloads: 202)

Posted: 26 March 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Marco,

Thanks for the feedback. I took a short look to your file, similar as I had set up the file in the movie above you could just drag polygons (the child-objects of your joints).

The flow of information is one of the most critical aspect in animation. To keep the distance from source to receiver as short as possible is certainly a key.

Have fun with your project.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: