A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

black banding appearing in depth pass
Posted: 09 March 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-06

Hello
    When i render depth pass, banding appears in the grey areas. Can anyone pls suggest how to solve this

Thank you

Posted: 09 March 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Kandavelan,

I would like to see the scene file (please reduced to the parts that causes it, or on which the banding is visible)

Banding is normally a result of a low bit/c format or a over corrected material. In short 8 bit/c are the typical reason for banding. As this is a data-image which is only based on gray (B&W) values, you get only 256 values in it with 8bit/c

As every data image it should have no change of the data enabled. AntiAlias for example is a big no for those channels. Like yesterday in CV-Live, the UVW channel is a data channel, which means RGB are just numbers. If one uses dithering or Anti Alias in render or post, these values are destroyed.  Heavy compression is as well something to avoid on all cost. Any loss based on compression is the dead of these data types.

I work in nothing else than 32bit/c and of course linear, to avoid all of these problems. With OpenEXR the file size is not that larger (With tiff it is dramatically larger of course)

If floating point 32bit/c is not helping at all the reason must be in the scene file.

All the best

Sassi

P.S. Radiance (.hdr) is not a 32/bit/c (channel) file it is a 32bit/p (pixel) format. Do not use it if you like to have quality.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]