A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Quadruped Character Template Tutorial
Posted: 03 March 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-03-02

Hi,
I really need to see a tutorial on how to use the provided Quadruped Character Template.
It only comes with one set of legs created and have no idea how to use it properly to rig and animate.
The Biped tutorial does not go over how to create the second set of legs for Quad, nor does it talk about how to get it to fit a quadruped character.
It would be really great to get this info.
Any links anywhere would help, LOL!

Posted: 05 March 2012 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

To create the quadruped you need to add the pelvis, then the spine.
Once you have the spine added you have the the option to add a “leg back”
This is a dropdown/button.
Clicking adds the “leg back”
Clicking and holding will allow you to select the front legs.

As for fitting the character, the joints follow the general skeletal structure of an actual quadruped.
For the hind legs it looks like there is a joint missing at the top…but the bone you seen in the image is the hip bone…so it is static.
Where as the front legs have an extra joint because they include the shoulder blade.

Posted: 05 March 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-03-02

Thanks, but I what I want to work with is the already created Quadruped Template in the multicharacters.c4d file in library/characters.
It only has one side made and I’d like to know how to make the other side. It seems like it is locked or frozen or something.
It doesn’t allow me to do anything to it. Like it is somehow locked.
I can rescale it using the scale tool, but that’s it.
That is what I want to learn to do.
Just like with the Biped tutorial, only I need it to be a Quadruped Tutorial.

Posted: 06 March 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

You need to add the “Character object” to your scene and then choose “quadruped” as the template you wish to use from the template dropdown.
From there you will be given the options that you need to add the various limbs, etc.

You should never need to touch the files in the template library, unless you are creating or installing a new template.

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2011-03-02

Ok I’ll try that and see what happens.
Thanks