A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Parametric design and parametric animation
Posted: 02 March 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-02-22

Hi Cineversity,

I have a client who is asking our team to explore parametric design for development of some eye candy for future products.

I realize the tools with Cinema can allow for some very nice design with mograph and geometry, however, I am having some difficulty achieving some elegant and somewhat complex results. I have a decent amount of experience with Cinema, but am not versed in expresso.

I am specifically trying to make the shape attached, or something similar. I have tried creating the basic ‘square’ shape, duplicating it and creating a mesh, then using a collision deformer on that mesh. My results are less than ideal, mainly because the collision deformer just is not manipulating the mesh in an elegant manner. It pushes the points in a rather erratic and forceful manner. I have tried to simplify the mesh, adjust settings on the collision deformer, with no positive results.

Can anyone out there tell me if this sort of effect is even possible within the current tool set of C4D?

Thanks,

JC

Posted: 02 March 2012 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi JC,

Try the “Camera Deformer” and the “PoseMorph” tag. Each on its own in your scene and try to use the Camera Deformer as well driven be the PoseMorph. You can use as well other deformers like the Mesh Deformer in this mix.

If you like to have controlled Dynamic effects via parametrically options, cache the dynamics, and if a shape is to you liking, use the Current State To Object command. If you have a collection of nice “shapes” based on that, feed them all into the PoseMorph.

In a nutshell: try to find nice key situations for your exploration, use what ever is possible and use these as a slider driven (Pose Morph) and aniamtied solution. Combine!

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Another option would be the mesh deformer or the surface deformer
The mesh deformer is like an FFD on steroids and the surface deformer can attach 1 object to another objects surface in various ways.