A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Butterfly UV Mapping
Posted: 15 December 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-16

Tutorial hangs at 2:11.  I have tried default, firewall, and http modes for playback.  they all hang at same place.

Thanks,

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2012-01-01

I am experiencing the same problem.
Any word on a fix?

Thanks.

Posted: 20 April 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-04-19

It hangs on me as well. Was cnsidering subscribing to premium but nobody seems to be addressing this issue. Why should I pay money for something that doesn’t work. cmon guys.

Posted: 28 October 2014 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-04-22

+1

The reason I am interested in this tutorial is specifically to learn about UV Mapping. Sadly, that portion of the tutorial will not play past 2:11. Like others I mentioned, I tried all streaming options, but none of them work.

Posted: 29 October 2014 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2013-12-06

We have reuploaded a new version of this tutorial. It should be playing correctly now.

Posted: 31 October 2014 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2007-04-22

When I attempt to do the “relax UV” step, I get an error message stating:

- Some polygon vertex indices are invalid

I have no idea what this error means, so I don’t know how to proceed. I double check my head seam selection, and also the UV points, and both appear to be correct. Does this error mean there is a flaw in the 3D base mesh? I see a horizontal blue edge line between the upper lip and bottom of the nose. Does this blue line indicate a bad “vertex indices”. What is this blue edge line, and how do I fix it?

BTW, I tried disabling the Pin Point Selection option, thinking the point selections may be contributing to the problem, but I still get the same error.

I have attached screen grabs for reference. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I’m stuck at this point.

BTW, I am working in C4D R15

Posted: 31 October 2014 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David158,

Would you mind to zip the model as it is and attach it to a new post?

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 31 October 2014 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2007-04-22

Dr. Sassi - Thanks for the prompt reply. I have attached the .zip’d file of the C4D project file for your review. Thanks for taking a look!

Dave

Dr. Sassi - 31 October 2014 10:15 PM

Hi David158,

Would you mind to zip the model as it is and attach it to a new post?

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
BUTTERFLY_0001.c4d.zip  (File Size: 139KB - Downloads: 211)

Posted: 31 October 2014 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David158,

I checked the file first with the Edit>Project Info. See image, it showed me that something went wrong somewhere. There were two N-Gons, which are supposed to be quads in this model. (This was not the problem, BTW.)

What I found was a single point, completely without any connection. So, I used the Mesh>Commands>Optimize, to eliminate any unused points. (If you call up the Optimize, go to the cogwheel to get all options. After that the Error message didn’t show up again. In the image you see + and - signs, use them to find other problems; the object must be active for that.

I went quickly one time through the unwrapping, perhaps a little bit different than the tutorial, but close. See image. As I had translated the whole series eight years ago, I remembered it very well. So I hope you don’t mind to have moved one time through. You can go back with the Frontal Projection and do it for your self. If you have problems with the antennas, select them separately and use only the Seam, not the points [pin]. Just a though. It is good to check other options to get an idea about them anyway. The formation of the UV, the three parts, are arranged with the scale and move tool (in UV Polygon Edit mode), your initial un-peeled result might vary.

All the best

Sassi

P.S. the degenerated Polygons in the model will disappear with the Optimize.

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_BPbf_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 86KB - Downloads: 217)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 31 October 2014 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

The tutorial seems to stream nicely now.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 31 October 2014 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2007-04-22

Dr. Sassi - Thanks for looking into this. I should have thought to optimize the model! I’m aware that N-gons are not good, but I was having a hard time keeping up with the pace of the tutorial and they must have slipped in there without me noticing it. I will review the fixed file and also try resuming from my project file to see if I can do the fix as well.

Posted: 31 October 2014 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David158,

You’re welcome. I write things down to share information, not to provide a negative critique, far from that. I write also mostly more than I believe is needed, as many people read this and might need more details for their “problem”. So, whatever I write is for the forum as well, not a judgement. I’m happy when you can continue to explore your tools. I know how it feels to get slowed down by such—“stuff”.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: