A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 17
CV-ArtSmart
Posted: 13 December 2012 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-01-10

No I’m running it on r13. I just got desperate last night when I got the corrupted file and tried it in r12. Ok no problem so that means it’s for r13+ only. I was just asking in the event I needed to work with r12 users.

Anyway, I’ve found another repeatable bug:
1. Create new document
2. Load ArtSmart Object
3. Load .ai file into ArtSmart
4. Extrude Depth
5. Create Materials
6. Undo. This is where it goes wonky. The extrusion disappears on undoing ‘Create Materials’. And attempting to pull the extrude slider again results in even the splines disappearing.

I also noticed, in that ‘cv_artsmart_test.c4d’ file I sent you, once an animation has been set, clicking ‘Create Materials’ doesn’t create the correct materials, and more importantly all the geometry totally disappears and Undo doesn’t bring it back.

This one’s pretty nerve-wrecking!

Posted: 14 December 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Ok - I think I’ve got the Undo issue and the float fillet radius issue fixed in 1.03, now available for download.

I can’t reproduce the Create Materials on animation thing, except in your file. This might be a corruption left over from the previous bug. Let me know if you can reproduce it in a fresh file with 1.03

Posted: 14 December 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-01-10

Hi Rich,

Undo works now and so does the Create Materials after animating. You’re probably right that it’s a leftover from the previous bug, since it’s working fine on a fresh file.

Another thing now: In the Material Manager, why does ‘Function >Remove Unused Materials’ remove all the materials that were created by ArtSmart ‘Create Materials’, even though they are applied to the ArtSmart layers? Shouldn’t C4d know that they are in use? Anyway, once they are removed, clicking ‘Create Materials’ again doesn’t re-create the materials. Thankfully, Undo works now…

Posted: 14 December 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-21

How does one use the ArtSmart “import object” tool?

Posted: 15 December 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-05

This is truly awesome, Rick. Thank you for making it available to the community.

Posted: 15 December 2012 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-12-14

Help me please I have error when run CV-ArtSmart-v1.03
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File “‘CV-ArtSmartObject.pyp’”, line 637, in GetVirtualObjects
TypeError: CreatePath() takes exactly 4 arguments (3 given)

Posted: 16 December 2012 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-12-14

Rick,

This plugin is absolutely amazing and will save me a lot of time!  Thanks for creating it.  One thing, It’s not identifying multiple colors as surfaces for me.  It does one white color but doesn’t create the rest.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted: 16 December 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Joined  2012-12-15

12-16-12

Hi Rick,
Realizing how much Artsmart will help me—yesterday downloaded & installed. Over a few minutes first created in AI CS6 a file composed of a handful of simple overlapping freehand closed shapes each on it’s own layer—each filled a different simple color—& saved both an .ai file & a .pdf. However when opened in newest Cinema with Artsmart things were decidedly different.  Only one layer with one path is filled with color & all others colored outlines with no fills at all.

All extrude & separate fine—but each layer now also has two versions—one with color & other an identical pure black outline & its black extrusion just in front of each layer. Mystified to solution after a few hours exploring. Tried capping combinations—but none worked.

What are the extra black shapes & why don’t they also have a filled in face. Something is not translating correctly? Obviously I’m doing basic things wrong in AI. Wonder if you might examine my screen grab file attached—& relate to me what I’m doing wrong—so I know how to proceed? Apparently I can not send you an .ai or PDF or .c4D.

OSX 10.6.8 iMac—2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 & 8 GB

Saturn2

Posted: 17 December 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
segvic - 15 December 2012 06:49 PM

Help me please I have error when run CV-ArtSmart-v1.03
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File “‘CV-ArtSmartObject.pyp’”, line 637, in GetVirtualObjects
TypeError: CreatePath() takes exactly 4 arguments (3 given)

Thanks for the report segvic - this one’s fixed in 1.04, which is now available.

Posted: 17 December 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Joined  2012-12-14

Create Materials still isn’t working for me.  Even without it, the plugin will save a ton of time though.

Posted: 17 December 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
Saturn2 - 16 December 2012 08:12 PM

All extrude & separate fine—but each layer now also has two versions—one with color & other an identical pure black outline & its black extrusion just in front of each layer.

If a path has both stroke & fill, and you save WITH compression, you’ll get two splines in C4D - one for the stroke and one for the fill. When ArtSmart is using PDF parsing, it can’t currently distinguish these.

But, you shouldn’t get an extrusion for the stroked path - only the filled path.

Try saving as Illustrator, PDF Compatible, compression disabled. See if that solves your issue. Then we’ll know it’s the PDF parsing.

If you attach a file here, I can dig into it and take a closer look (I think you have to zip it first).

- Rick -

Posted: 17 December 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
bakerimage - 17 December 2012 03:08 PM

Create Materials still isn’t working for me.  Even without it, the plugin will save a ton of time though.

Every surface is white? Can you attach a file so I can take a look?

What Illustrator version are you saving as?

- Rick -

Posted: 17 December 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Joined  2012-12-14

Using Illustrator CS6 and saving as CS6.  Only creates one surface that is white.

Here’s a link to the illustrator file   https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4003780/PirateMAINlogo.zip

Do you need my C4D file?

Posted: 17 December 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
bakerimage - 17 December 2012 03:47 PM

Using Illustrator CS6 and saving as CS6.  Only creates one surface that is white.

OK - the issue here is that the colors are defined as Pantone. I have conversions built in for CMYK but not Pantone. I’ll see if that can be added in a future version. In the meantime, if you convert all your Pantone to CMYK as described in this article, it’ll work.

Posted: 17 December 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Joined  2012-12-14

Ahhh, Ok, sorry “RTFM”

Thanks Rick!

2 of 17

CV Toolbox R23 ››