A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to morph between shapes within two Null sets?
Posted: 12 February 2019 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

I have a null with 10 objects of identical polygon count. I want to use the Pose Morph tag to transition to 10 shapes in a second null (also with identical polygon count). The boxes checked in the Mixing panel are Position, Points, UV, and Hierarchy (UV is important as I will be mapping photos and graphics on the panels). I set up the project and added the Pose Morph tag - and it worked! Yea! But when I re-arranged the order of polygons inside the second null (to add variety), the tag broke; the shapes did not morph as before. I deleted the tag and set it up again with the same settings (I thought) but it refused to work. I have tried 50 permutations of absolute/relative/inclusion/exclusion and every other variable I could find, but could not repeat my original success. Rats!

I feel like it should not matter how the polygons are named - the hierarchy will determine shape distribution. That is, the first polygon in Null Pose 1 will morph into the first polygon in Null Pose 2, regardless of what it is named, just as long as the point count is the same. If that is not correct, please advise. I am banking on that functionality as I mix and match panel combinations for effect.

I’m sure it’s an easy checkbox I am missing (it always is) but at present I am flummoxed to find it.

I have attached the project in its current non-working form for evaluation.

Thanks!

File Attachments
Panel Morph Template.c4d.zip  (File Size: 76KB - Downloads: 63)

Posted: 12 February 2019 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

This sounds more like a question than a tutorial suggestion. I will move it to the Q&A forum.

However: Could you please let me know if a tutorial is your target or if that should have been posted in the Q&A forum from the start.

A sketch of what sorting you would like to have would be helpful. Please have a look here:
Screen capture, scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/DpCuuLBW1aO3zNb7maugBMoxypm2twypFjFIii9Ga2X

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 February 2019 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

Yes, this should be a Q&A - my mistake!

The end product is a photo montage with divider frames and captions in boxes. I want to individual panels (photos) to morph from one size and position to another. The divider lines will stay the same thickness, but move to new positions. That’s the idea anyway. The ZIP sample of color-coded layouts helps track the panels as they shift in size and position. Panels appear and disappear by scaling to zero and back. Some panels (like the smaller rectangles) will be in different Z space - i.e. be in front.

I can see from your demo that you got it to work quite easily. I must be making a fundamental error in how I’m setting it up. That’s not unusual. At least I can see how it should work.

Thanks.

File Attachments
Panel Set Archive.zip  (File Size: 13KB - Downloads: 67)

Posted: 13 February 2019 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the images, mford610!

Have you considered to use a single Pose Morph on a single object? In this way, each object is straightforward in the setup and can be organized in any way. With a fixed hierarchy you’re stuck. All the sliders can be connected with User Data (Xpresso, but note that they will work only in Animation mode of the PoseMorph)

This would create a much more comfortable “bug” hunt, and the flexibility is nearly endless. You get a much better art-direction with a single slider.
However, here is your file back with a quick set up
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ppC0dnILzBafItVJMEF1C2ApUCDPjmbHc3W9eTLUxEj

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]