A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Strange Issues with some built-in Node Materials
Posted: 14 November 2018 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2018-10-15

Broadcast R20.  Create a new scene, add a sphere.  Apply the built-in Ceramic node material.  Switch to ProRender, then render.  End up with just some tiny amount of gray pixels.  Then, add a plane and apply the ceramic material to it and re-render.  It’s now acting like a light source (see attached sphere_plane.jpg which contains the two renders).

Most of the other built-in node materials all work as expected (e.g. Gold, Car Paint).

Posted: 14 November 2018 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ricky Sharp,

The Node Materials are not useable for the ProRender at the moment.

https://help.maxon.net/us/#56141
Scroll down to Limitations: Third bullet point.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 14 November 2018 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-10-15

Dr. Sassi,

The built-in node-based materials I added to my materials pane have a warning icon on them stating ‘This material is baked’.  So assumed that all was good.  I also just added a ‘Bake Texture’ tag to my object and still no luck with the Ceramic Material.

Here’s a list of built-in node-based materials that are working in ProRender for me: Car Paint, Concrete, Emission, Gold, Granite, Metal, Plastic, Rock and Wood.  Marble and Ceramic have issues.

I do seem some render artifacts though with some of the “working” ones.  I will probably just stick with making my own Node-based materials for now.

Thanks.

Posted: 14 November 2018 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2018-10-15

Ok, I’m probably misreading those limitations.  I guess that some materials had the appearance of working with ProRender, but there are ultimately problems.  Some problems worse than others.  So for projects I wish to use ProRender, will stick with a PBR material workflow.  When using the Physical Renderer, I can then play with nodes.

Posted: 14 November 2018 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Ricky Sharp,

If you are happy with artifacts, do so, but keep in mind: Nodes can produce results that are dependent on “contextual influences”, which will be excluded and perhaps not even recognized while “baked”. Baked, AFAIK, is not a progressive function.

My best wishes

P.S. I just wanted to post this, when you added a second post.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]