A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Exporting Material for Xcode
Posted: 12 November 2018 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-09

Is there a way to build some sort of Export Template for Exporting Material Channels for Xcode & only getting what I can use?

I made a cheat sheet for myself of what Xcode can use for it’s PBR Materials. So I’d like to export a DAE file and all the necessary material channels to import more easily.

Diffuse(BaseColor) - Base
(R,G,B Value or Image)
OCTANE = Diffuse Channel
The diffuse color of a pixel is independent of the point of view, so it can be thought of as a material’s “base” color or texture.

Metalness(FloatMap) - Metal or not
(0/Black - Non-Metallic -> 1/White - Metallic)
OCTANE = Roughness Channel
Lower values (darker colors) cause the material to appear more like a dielectric surface. Higher values (brighter colors) cause the surface to appear more metallic.

Roughness(FloatMap) - Surface Smoothness
(0/Black - Reflective/Mirror -> 1/White - Diffuse/Flat)
OCTANE = Specular Channel
Lower values (darker colors) cause the material to appear shiny, with well-defined specular highlights. Higher values (brighter colors) cause specular highlights to spread out and the diffuse color of the material to become more retroreflective.

Normal(NormalMap) - Bump or Detail Surface
(R, G, and B components of each as the X, Y, and Z)
OCTANE = Normal Channel
Normal map texture can store much more detailed surface information than a geometry, you can use a material’s normal property to simulate rough surfaces such as stone or add embossed or engraved designs to an otherwise smooth surface.

Transparent(Alpha ImageMap) - Opacity
(Opacity 100% - Opaque -> Opacity 0% - Transparent)
OCTANE = Opacity Channel
Use this property to selectively make parts of a material appear transparent.
Alpha channel defines areas of full or partial opacity.

Occlusion/AmbientOcclusion(FloatMap) -Object Shadows
Ambient occlusion approximates large-scale surface details that obscure global illumination.

Illumination/SelfIllumination(FloatMap) - Surface Lighting
(Black - Material is affected by lighting -> White - Material is not affected by lighting)
For some materials it can be useful to let a surface itself define its lighting.

Emission(ImageMap) - Glow
(Black - No Emission -> Any Color or ImageMap)
If it has emission it will not be affected by outside influences of light.
Simulate parts of a surface that glow with their own light.
SceneKit does not treat the material as a light source—rather, the emission property determines colors for a material independent of lighting.

Posted: 12 November 2018 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi natemac,

The only source that I can point to, as I have done in August as well, is the Maxon support or perhaps more specific, the Developer Support:
https://developers.maxon.net/?page_id=1114

An example of XCode plug-in development, is here:
https://developers.maxon.net/?p=79
This is the place where things like that are discussed very closely in a specialized forum.

I hope you find the needed support for your project there, and perhaps some more ideas.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]